Auntee's Reviews > Defiant

Defiant by Pamela Clare

Jul 08, 12

bookshelves: historical-romance-american, part-of-a-series, 2012_reads, keepers, made_me_cry
Recommended for: Anyone. But especially those who enjoy historical romance set in Colonial America.
Read from July 06 to 07, 2012

There's nothing I can say in this review, no amount of superlatives I can use, to convey how much I adored this book! Och, I didn't want it to end!! I am going to miss these characters so much! Pamela Clare did a magnificent job bringing them to life--it's like they stepped off the pages and were right in front of me. Or that I was along with them on the journey. No one can paint a picture with words quite like Ms. Clare. From the very first page I was immersed in the story, and spent one hot July Saturday reading the book cover to cover, only stopping (briefly) to wipe away my tears and collecting myself. For me, I think this was the most emotional story of the series, not just for the story itself, but also because I had to say goodbye to the most swoonworthy heroes in all of Romance. God do I love those honorable, passionate MacKinnon brothers...

No recapping of the plot, the book blurb does a good job of that. Just some random thoughts and favorite passages (I've dog-earred a lot of pages!)...

*The book wasn't all drama. There were more than a few humorous scenes, especially between Connor and Joseph...

Joseph's reaction to Connor's depilation:

"You look good--just like a human being should look. Only animals have hairy faces and bodies."
"Real men have hair on their chests," Connor fired back. "You look like a lass wi' smooth paps."
But this only made Joseph laugh harder.
Connor's temper snapped. "Dinnae be laughin' at me. They went for my cods, so they did! I had to shove them away, else they'd have plucked me bare there, too. I willna submit my bollocks to such abuse."
Joseph bit his lip, clearly trying to rein in his mirth. "So you prefer to make women search the bush to find the snake?"
"My
snake is no' so small that the lasses must search for it."

I loved Connor's Scottish 'voice'.:)

Connor, preparing himself for Lady Sarah...
Photobucket

*I love PC's attention to detail. (view spoiler)

*Favorite action scene: (view spoiler)

*Favorite blossoming romance scene:(view spoiler)
Yowza...

*Connor's creative cursing: Just something about "Och, Satan's hairy arse!" cracks me up every time!

*Sarah big 'secret' (why her parents sent her to the colonies in disgrace): (view spoiler)

*Connor's guilt about how he reacted and his actions (his killing spree) after he thought his brother Morgan was dead. His confession to Sarah and her reaction (the hug) and her reply--"Have you not read the Bible, Connor? Even angels kill"--really moved me.

*"My love lies upon you". This kills me every time, whether its Iain, Morgan, or Connor saying it. Most romantic words in this whole series...

*Chapters 18 and 19--Sarah and Connor alone in the cabin (so glad that conveniently there was an abandoned cabin for them!)

"Och, Sarah. Tonight I'll show you the richness of a man's loving."
"Your breasts are beautiful, Sarah. See how they fill my hands?"

" Connor."

"Now I shall undress you."

"Do as you will. I am yours."

"Sarah! "Och, Christ!"

Oh wow...these chapters got my heart fluttering...

* Sarah playing the fiddle for Connor's men and the appreciation they showed her. That scene just warmed my heart--at last Sarah had the freedom to openly enjoy her music, and to have someone be proud of her.

*Lord Wentworth...hmm, what can I say about him? Well, he made an excellent villain. But yet there's something about him...I just don't want to give up on him yet. I do think he's redeemable. I mean, he did give Sarah that harpsichord! And that unselfish act, when he finally showed how much he did love Sarah...it had me tearing up. Wentworth needs a story of his own! (And if he gets a story, that means we have to see at least Sarah and Connor again!)

The harpsichord...
Photobucket

*The dismissing of the Rangers. A proud moment for Iain and Connor. One that made me tear up a bit for all that they went through.

*The big, beautiful epilogue. *sigh* To see everybody healthy and happy, and what their lives were going to be like...oh so satisfying. But it also made me kind of melancholy too.
And the cliffhanger with Wentworth? I want to know what he went through. I really want to know!

I guess I don't have to point out if you've read Surrender and Untamed, you're going to want to read this one. If you like historical romance, you're going to want to read this one. If you like stories that combine fact with some steamy romantic fiction, you're going to want to read this one. If you like stories with swoonworthy heroes and feisty heroines, you're going to want to read this one. If you like to read any type of romance--you're going to want to read this one. This was one of the few books this year that I've read cover-to-cover, non-stop until I was finished. Can't say that about too many books. After flipping through this book while writing the review, I found myself wanting to read it all over again! And I just might...5 big stars!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Defiant.

07/07/2012 page 94
25.82% "Wow...just wow. How will I be able to put this one down?" 5 comments
07/07/2012 page 292
80.22% "Och...need a break to dry my tears...:(" 6 comments
07/07/2012 page 364
100.0% "Wow. I'm drained...Review coming..."
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

AlbertaJenn Stayed up late to finish this one! So good!

Auntee If I could've kept my eyes open I'd have done the same! So I got up early instead...:)

MelissaB I just finished it Auntee! Great ending too, it made me feel happy and sad that we were leaving the brothers.

Auntee I'm hearing nothing but raves...I'm trying to slowly savor it and absorb every word!:)

Do you think you'll do a re-read?:)

MelissaB This was a reread for me, I was able to read an early version a few months ago - just as good the second time!

Stay cool today Auntee! It's gonna be a hot one today, a good excuse to stay inside and read.

Auntee OOh, lucky you!:D

I'm not setting one toe outside today!:)

You be cool too--this weather is insane, isn't it???

message 7: by Tara (new)

Tara Do I need to read these in order or do they stand alone?

MelissaB Tara - all three are great and they work best together in order IMO

Auntee Yep, and if you can read them back-to-back-to-back...that would be even better!

message 10: by Tara (new)

Tara Thanks!

message 11: by Searock (new)

Searock Wow, excellent review, Auntee!
I even peeked in some spoilers. I couldn't help it, you made them look so tempting :)

message 12: by Keri (new) - rated it 5 stars

Keri Wonderful review Auntee! Adored this book!!! :-)

Auntee Thanks Searock and Keri!:)

message 14: by Erin (new) - added it

Erin Muses This is the nth super positive review that I have seen for this series. Sounds like I should finally read it.

Auntee Oh you should, Erin! You won't be sorry!

message 16: by UniquelyMoi ... So I Can Shine... (last edited Jul 08, 2012 11:12PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

UniquelyMoi ... So I Can Shine... Awesome review, Auntee. Bravo!

I was sobbing... one of many times while reading this book.

Kathleen Fantastic review as always' from you, hahahahaha. Gee just reading your review brought back some of the emotion I had while reading it. You mentioned two of my favorite scenes, the one where Sarah played the fiddle before Connor's men, that scene touched my heart and was as if I could hear her playing. The other scene when The Rangers bid Connor and Iain farewell. Those two scenes were priceless.

MelissaB Love the review Auntee!

Shawna Wonderful review, Auntee! I loved that you highlighting all my favorite moments! I just don't want to let those yummy MacKinnon brothers go! *sigh*

Beanbag Love Great review, Auntee! Love the highlights. :)

Auntee Thanks ladies! It's so hard to let them go...maybe PC can revisit and give us a little novella or something...maybe a "MacKinnon Christmas" or something like that?

UniquelyMoi ... So I Can Shine... Well, Joseph will be getting a book, so I'm hoping that we'll at least get a visit with them then.

Auntee I'll take any crumbs she wants to give us...:)

message 25: by Wendy (last edited Jul 09, 2012 05:46PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Wendy Absolutely fab review Dhes! Oh this is a keeper and I keep it close to my little fluttering heart. *sigh*

Hey Dhes, will we get a book for Joseph?

message 26: by UniquelyMoi ... So I Can Shine... (last edited Jul 09, 2012 06:09PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

UniquelyMoi ... So I Can Shine... Yep! Pamela said that if DEFIANT sells well, the publisher will let her write it. If it doesn't sell well, she'll self publish it :)

UniquelyMoi ... So I Can Shine... Oh, and Wendy, (view spoiler)

message 28: by Wendy (last edited Jul 09, 2012 06:33PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Wendy UniquelyMoi *~*Dhestiny*~* wrote: "Oh, and Wendy, [spoilers removed]"

LOL, I did it again! Thanks for pointing that out Dhes. *blushes* I already liked your review. *shakes head*

Let me start again. Fabulous review Auntee! *blushes again*

message 29: by Ruth (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ruth Ah, hell! I was going to do a re-read of the other two before ensconcing myself with this one, but I honestly don't think I can wait. I'm just going to have to go straight in..

Great review, Auntee.

UniquelyMoi ... So I Can Shine... Ruth, don't wait. Read Defiant, then re-read Surrender and Untamed to prepare for your re-read of Defiant :)

message 31: by Ruth (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ruth UniquelyMoi *~*Dhestiny*~* wrote: "Ruth, don't wait. Read Defiant, then re-read Surrender and Untamed to prepare for your re-read of Defiant :)"

LOL! That sounds like my beach reading all sorted for the summer!!

UniquelyMoi ... So I Can Shine... Ruth wrote: "LOL! That sounds like my beach reading all sorted for the summer!! "

You're welcome! LOL!

Auntee Thanks Wendy and Ruth!:)

Kristen (Peddler of Smut) Fantastic review, Auntee. I love the pictures you posted. They make me want to read the book again.

Auntee Thanks Kristen--I'd love to reread all three books again!:)

KatLynne As always, Fantastic detailed review Auntee! I loved it and the pictures!

Auntee Thanks KatLynne! This book was a pure pleasure to read.

message 38: by Jane (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jane Great reviews, Auntie! Just finished my first two books of this series. This one's on my 'current read' list now. Any recommendation of historical romance like this?? ^^ thanks!

Auntee Thanks Jane.:)
I wish I knew of any other authors/books about Colonial America. As far as I'm concerned, it would be hard to top Pamela Clare's writing.:)

message 40: by Jane (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jane I agree whole heartedly! Her research really pays off! Her diction, her style are both so true to the time period. :D