UniquelyMoi ~ 1-Click RockChick's Reviews > Defiant

Defiant by Pamela Clare

UPDATE! Congratulations RITA finalist, Pamela Clare!

Those who have read the MacKinnnon's Rangers series will not be surprised to learn that DEFIANT has been given the honor of being a RITA finalist. And if you haven't yet read this amazing series - what are you waiting for? Get with the program! You won't be disappointed!

Check out Pamela's blog post about getting "the call."

My own foreword:

I first want to say thank you, Pamela, for giving me the opportunity… the excitement and honor… of reading this book, chapter by chapter, as it was being written, then again once it was completed. I’m not in the least embarrassed to say that even after that, I read it again, twice more in its entirety, and still knowing what was coming, what to expect, I laughed, I cried, I sighed, I was angry, my hands shook, my heart raced… you name the emotion and while reading this book, I felt it, again and again. Such an incredible experience! So yeah, thank you, Pamela, truly.

Now, let's move on to the reason you’re all here…

Defiant is the third book in the MacKinnon’s Rangers series and one of the most beautiful, amazing, heartbreaking, joyous, poignant, exciting, perfectly wonderful romance novels I’ve ever read. No, I take it back, that's not what it is... calling it a romance novel doesn’t do it justice. What it is, is a true love story, in every way imaginable. I adored Iain and Annie’s story, and Morgan and Amalie’s, but Connor and Sarah… my absolute favorite of the three. It's such an adventure! An incredible journey from letting go of the past to embracing the here and now, and the future. Connor and Sarah have so many things to overcome, and I don’t just mean Indians, murder, kidnapping, pissy, asshat relatives and gossip and rumors… I mean, yeah, those things are there, but nothing compared to what they had to overcome within themselves… their own personal demons… anger, betrayal, hopelessness, a need for revenge so consuming it can destroy one’s soul… such a powerful story.

Okay, some things you need to know. Before you begin this book, stock up on the following:

1. Snacks and beverages that don’t require refrigeration. You’ll be needing plenty of these because you’re going to want to lock yourself away somewhere nice and quiet, and once there, you will not want to leave in search of sustenance. Trust me on this.

2. Tissues. Boxes and boxes of tissues. Don't skimp, you’ll need them.

3. And girls, ‘cuz I love you and I got your backs, this is critical… make sure you’ve got your significant other on standby, or a stockpile of batteries. Just sayin’…

Some final thoughts…

There are so many things to love about the MacKinnon brothers. Their passion, their sense of humor, their honor and need to always do what’s right, the way they take care of their women… and this quote from the book sums them up so, so well:
Joseph speaking to Sarah: “You are new here, so I will explain. In this land, nobility comes not from one’s fathers or a title or from the land one owns, but from one’s actions.” His voice was hard-edged, and his words seemed harsh to her. “The MacKinnon brothers are the highest nobility to those who live on the frontier—true warriors, men who know how to fight and survive, men who put the lives of others before their own. Your family’s wealth, your title, your virtue—they mean nothing out here. They won’t fill your belly, and they won’t keep you alive. What matters most right now is your survival.”
And one of the most beautiful, romantic lines I've ever read, and when you read this story you'll understand why it had me in tears:
"Och, Sarah, how shall I call augh’ beautiful again unless it be the sight of you?"
Yeah, not just in tears, sobbing so hard my chest hurt.

But this wouldn't be a MacKinnon's Rangers story without those laugh out loud scenes we've come to expect, those moments that bring some light to the darkness… and this exchange is one of them: Joseph and Connor:
Joseph stood, his gaze traveling over Connor’s clean-shaven face and hairless chest, his lips curving in a grin. “What’s this? The cub is not so furry.”

“That devil woman’s granddaughters waylaid me, took me to her lodge, insisting they had to prepare me for the ceremony. They bathed and oiled me, shaved my face, then plucked every hair out of my chest and belly. God’s blood, it was torture!”

Connor’s skin still smarted.

Joseph chuckled. “You look good—just like a human being should look. Only animals have hairy faces and bodies.”

This was a familiar disagreeance, one they’d debated many times afore.

“Real men have hair on their chests,” Connor fired back. “You look like a lass wi’ smooth paps.”

But this only made Joseph laugh harder.

Connor’s temper snapped. “Dinnae be laughin’ at me. They went for my cods, so they did! I had to thrust them away, else they’d have plucked me bare there, too. I willna submit my bollocks to such abuse.”

Joseph bit his lip, clearly trying to rein in his mirth. “So you prefer to make women search the bush to find the snake?”

“My snake is no’ so small that the lasses must search for it.”
So yeah... I could go on and on and on, sharing quotes and telling you how much I love every single word of this book, but I won't do that, I won't deprive you the pleasure of experiencing the story for yourself and discovering all the amazing little gems that make Defiant one of my very favorite historical love stories ever.

And great news for all us MacKinnon fans, Pamela has promised at least two more full length books in the series!! YAY!!! And she just confirmed that Joseph will be the hero for one of those books!!

Edited to add: The trailer has finally been released!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eU8YWd...

And the live action book trailer for DEFIANT is out! And totally awesome, I might add! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYQA2W...

----------

If you're already a Pamela Clare fan, or interested in learning more about her and her books, be sure to stop by our Pamela Clare Fan Group here on Goodreads!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Defiant.

Quotes UniquelyMoi ~ 1-Click RockChick Liked

Pamela Clare
“Och, Sarah, how shall I call augh’ beautiful again unless it be the sight of you?”
Pamela Clare, Defiant

Pamela Clare
“You are new here, so I will explain. In this land, nobility comes not from one’s fathers or a title or from the land one owns, but from one’s actions.” His voice was hard-edged, and his words seemed harsh to her. “The MacKinnon brothers are the highest nobility to those who live on the frontier—true warriors, men who know how to fight and survive, men who put the lives of others before their own. Your family’s wealth, your title, your virtue—they mean nothing out here. They won’t fill your belly, and they won’t keep you alive. What matters most right now is your survival. (Joseph to Lady Sarah)”
Pamela Clare, Defiant

07/20/2011 page 0
0.0% "This is the Defiant cover!!!"

KatLynne I am sooo jealous:) Can't wait to read this one!

message 3: by Ren (new) - added it

Ren You already have the copy?

Mitzi Lucky you!!!...I can’t wait to get this in my hot little hands!!!

Taryn at My Secret Romance is this the new copy?

UniquelyMoi ~ 1-Click RockChick No, I don't have a copy, I just posted the cover!

UniquelyMoi ~ 1-Click RockChick Taryn, Defiant has never been in print yet. But this cover matches the rerelease covers of Surrender and Untamed.

Regina Woohoo! So glad we have a cover!

message 9: by Ren (new) - added it

Ren UniquelyMoi *~*Dhestiny*~* wrote: "No, I don't have a copy, I just posted the cover!"

LOL, I know that! You make me almost have a heart attack

message 10: by Zeek (new) - rated it 5 stars

Zeek omgomgomg! YOU HAVE NO IDEA HOW LONG I"VE BEEN WAITING FOR THIS!

Taryn at My Secret Romance UniquelyMoi *~*Dhestiny*~* wrote: "Taryn, Defiant has never been in print yet. But this cover matches the rerelease covers of Surrender and Untamed."

That's why it looked familiar! Thanks :)

UniquelyMoi ~ 1-Click RockChick I love it when we finally get covers to books we've been dying to read! It makes it feel that much closer!!

Jessa ♥dhanger♥ EvilDarkSide I can't wait for this book. It's been a long time coming to get the last MacKinnon Rangers book. I'm ready to read about Connor!!!

UniquelyMoi ~ 1-Click RockChick Jessa ♥Dhanger♥ wrote: "I can't wait for this book. It's been a long time coming to get the last MacKinnon Rangers book. I'm ready to read about Connor!!!"

I completely agree, Jessa!!

KatLynne UniquelyMoi *~*Dhestiny*~* wrote: "No, I don't have a copy, I just posted the cover!"

Love it! I can hardly wait to read Conner's story!

message 16: by Searock (last edited Mar 26, 2012 02:49PM) (new)

Searock Wonderful, wonderful review, Dhessy!!

I have to start the first one soon, so I can get to this third book :)

(K-rations: check)
(Tissues: Scared of those- I don't like to be sad, but swoony, yes, so check)
(Hubs or batteries: double-check)

UniquelyMoi ~ 1-Click RockChick Thank you, Searock!! In case you couldn't tell, I just adored this book... so, so amazing. It's been a month and a half or so since I last read it, and I still cried writing the review. Such a beautiful love story.

Cheryl *sniff* I want to read it, too!

UniquelyMoi ~ 1-Click RockChick I wish everyone could read it right now!!! But it's totally worth the wait, Cheryl. I promise.

Cheryl UniquelyMoi *~*Dhestiny*~* wrote: "I wish everyone could read it right now!!! But it's totally worth the wait, Cheryl. I promise."

But I've been waiting for sooooo long! Ok, enough of the pity party. I promise.

Cheryl So, is Connor everything I always imagined him to be?

Regina I am so jealous!

KatLynne OMGOSH! I am laughing out loud at that last quote Dhes! I can hardly wait for this release!!

Pamela Clare is an amazingly talented author and I devour everything she writes!

Your review is perfect! I loved it!

message 25: by UniquelyMoi ~ 1-Click RockChick (last edited Mar 26, 2012 03:35PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

UniquelyMoi ~ 1-Click RockChick Cheryl wrote: "So, is Connor everything I always imagined him to be?"

And more.

He always seemed like the little brother to me, but he's so, so... mature, reliable, dependable... AND HOT!!! He's funny, but he's also like Iain and Morgan... I wasn't sure I'd love him the way I do the others, but I do. Completely. Keep in mind, Iain is gone, Morgan is gone, Connor's in charge of the Ranger's Camp now... lotta responsibility.

UniquelyMoi ~ 1-Click RockChick Thank you, Kat!! I really, really can't put into words how much I love this story!! SOOO much. And seriously, I LOVE that scene, too. Funny stuff!!!

Cheryl I always knew I would love Connor when it was time for his book! I've been reserving a place for him on my favorite-heroes shelf! Haha!

UniquelyMoi ~ 1-Click RockChick Cheryl wrote: "I always knew I would love Connor when it was time for his book! I've been reserving a place for him on my favorite-heroes shelf! Haha!"

No kidding!! He'll deserve it, too! I can't wait for other's to read it. I'll be jealous of you all getting to read it for the first time!!!

message 29: by Zumbagirl (new) - added it

Zumbagirl Wow! This was your favorite? I really liked Surrender and have to still read Untamed. Great review!

Christine (Cagnes) Can't wait to read it! It comes out on my husband's birthday... bet he'll be surprised to see what he's getting! ;-)

UniquelyMoi ~ 1-Click RockChick Thanks, Zumbagirl! Yeah, I really loved Lady Sarah... Iain and Morgan... I loved their stories too, but this one... it brings so many things together, there's so much emotion, ties up some things... wonderful, truly. And I've always loved Joseph and he's in this book a LOT.

UniquelyMoi ~ 1-Click RockChick Christine S. wrote: "Can't wait to read it! It comes out on my husband's birthday... bet he'll be surprised to see what he's getting! ;-)"

ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!! Funny!! I bet he'll be surprised... and he'll probably reap the benefits of some of the scenes ;)

UniquelyMoi ~ 1-Click RockChick And guess what??? Pamela's promised AT LEAST two more books in the series! YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kristen (Peddler of Smut) Fantastic review, Dhes! You have me so excited for this book! I can't wait for it's release.

UniquelyMoi ~ 1-Click RockChick Thank you, Kristen!! I can't wait to have a copy in my hot little hands so I can put it next to the other MacKinnon books!

Anne OK Super review, Dhestiny! Sounds like we're all in for a wonderful treat when "Defiant" arrives! I CAN'T WAIT!! PC never disappoints and from the sounds of your review, she has outdone herself on this one!

Christine (Cagnes) UniquelyMoi *~*Dhestiny*~* wrote: "And guess what??? Pamela's promised AT LEAST two more books in the series! YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Awesome, just made my day!!!

Elizabeth (Liz) Wonderful review, Dhes!! And, speaking of additional books in this series, do you think Joseph will get his own book?? It's probably terrible to say, but I love him waaaay more than even the McKinnon brothers!

message 39: by Dina (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dina Fantastic review, Dhes! I'm sooooo jealous! I always knew I'd love Connor. ;) Can't wait!!!

UniquelyMoi ~ 1-Click RockChick Thank you, Elizabeth! Once upon a time, Pamela said Joseph would get a story, and I'm sooooooooooooooo hoping he does. I fell HARD for him in this book, and there were even moments when I would have been okay if Joseph had been the one getting his HEA!

He's incredible. Amazing. Funny.... he's perfect and can easily have his own novel.

UniquelyMoi ~ 1-Click RockChick Thank you, Anne! I can't go into too much detail without spoiling it, and I will NOT do that, but so much came together here. Things resolved, doors opened... brilliant story. I'm soooo excited for everyone to read it!

Mitzi Wow....Just Wow....Can't Wait!!!

UniquelyMoi ~ 1-Click RockChick Christine S. wrote: "Awesome, just made my day!!!"

I'm over the moon!!! I've been dying for Connor's story, but not wanting it because I knew it would be the end... but now, knowing it ISN'T the end, I'm soooo happy!!!

UniquelyMoi ~ 1-Click RockChick Dina wrote: "Fantastic review, Dhes! I'm sooooo jealous! I always knew I'd love Connor. ;) Can't wait!!!"

Thanks, Dina! You're going to adore him, I promise!!

message 45: by Dina (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dina Two more books... One for Joseph and one for, gasp, Wentworth maybe?

message 46: by ♡Karlyn P♡ (last edited Mar 26, 2012 05:23PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

♡Karlyn P♡ Nice review Dhes!! I'm excited for this one. Loved the clips!! So two more books? I'll assume Wentworth gets a story then. ?? I know she has been slowly redeeming his character in the last books, and if anyone can make me love a character I once really hated (and I haaaaated him in Surrender!) I am sure Pamela Clare can pull it off. :-)

Elizabeth (Liz) Oh, I'm SO hoping that Joseph will get his own story! I've loved him since the beginning!! Sigh...

Thanks, Dhes:)

UniquelyMoi ~ 1-Click RockChick You're welcome, Elizabeth!

UniquelyMoi ~ 1-Click RockChick Thanks, KarLyn!!!

Oh, the things I want to say!!!!! But if I do, it might spoil part of the emotional ending of Defiant...

message 50: by Dina (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dina I knew it!!! Wentworth is going to be my next St. Vincent... Or is he? ;)

« previous 1 3 4