Melissa's Reviews > The Body

The Body by Stephen King

May 03, 11

bookshelves: 2011, audiobook, novella, horror
Read from April 21 to 24, 2011, read count: 1

This book surprised me in a good way. I was a little sceptical about King's non-horror writing, and honestly, only picked out the Different Seasons collection because I'd run out of short stories and figured novellas would be the next easiest to listen to. What I found was that "The Body" is up there amongst King's best writing. It's a coming-of-age tale centered on four best friends, as they hike out to look at a dead body. Maybe it doesn't sound like much, but the writing really captured what it was like to be that age, against an evocative high summer back-drop.

One element I didn't like was the inclusion of stories penned by the main character. His tale about a pie-eating contest was fine, but the preceding story about an angry young man with a dead brother and bitch step-mother was, basically, dull. The character himself described it as being painfully sophomoric and derivative, and throwing it in there whole took me out of the story and irritated me for a while. I gave this one a 5.5/10 immediately after finishing, but it's still resonating with me now, and in time I might bump it up a little. The best-written of the collection, I'd definitely recommend it to anyone interested in King's non-genre writing.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Body.