Lucia's Reviews > Seven Days in the Art World

Seven Days in the Art World by Sarah Thornton

May 31, 11

Read in May, 2011

This book is great. And I don't even have much interest in the "Art World." But it *is* full of interesting personalities, and the author is excellent at describing people. I felt like I was right there with her, tagging along and eavesdropping. It felt like a documentary film, actually.

Great writing, and intensely researched! I learned a lot.

I enjoyed the structure quite a bit: 7 chapters, each of them a day-in-the-life, behind-the-scenes description of a facet of the art world. (art school, a Christie's auction, prestigious art shows, fairs, and prizes, a commercially successful artist's studio, Artforum magazine, etc.)

I would think artists might have a love-hate relationship with this book. All that big money and schmoozing, the egos and the machinations, the business side of creative work, oof. I do think people who are interested in contemporary art (I am generally not) would like the book a lot.

I wonder how much has changed in the 3 years since this was published. The author describes it having been a major boom time for the art market....the recession may have changed everything.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Seven Days in the Art World.

05/18/2011 page 95