Badly Drawn Girl's Reviews > The Colony of Unrequited Dreams

The Colony of Unrequited Dreams by Wayne Johnston

Apr 22, 2011

Read in April, 2011

The history of Newfoundland is not a subject I would ever think I would enjoy learning about. This brilliantly written book manages to sum up the history of that island in a truly fascinating way. I never felt like this book was dragging, even though it is very large and stuffed to the brim with information, facts, and observations. By following the life of the future first premier of the country, Wayne Johnston reels his readers in. Joe Smallwood is like the little engine that could, he just keeps trucking along even when outside forces conspire against him. I found myself celebrating his achievements and mourning his losses and mistakes as if he were a person I knew and loved. And the character of Fielding is so wonderfully unique. You just never know what is going on in her head. And running throughout the book is the current of love and longing shared by these two who insist on pushing each other away at every chance.

Don't let the subject matter scare you off. If you like well written stories with fully developed characters that come to life before you eyes this is a book you will probably enjoy!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Colony of Unrequited Dreams.