Michelle's Reviews > Helpless

Helpless by Barbara Gowdy

Apr 21, 11

Read in January, 2009

I borrowed this book from my friend. Boy, this was something different. My friend described the book to me and I thought it sounded really disturbing. She said it was about an old man kidnapping a little girl. I know, creepy right?!

The book was not how I thought it would be though. The main character, Ron, actually has feelings. He wasn't trying to hurt Rachel (the little girl), he thought he was saving her! It sounds a little crazy, but it works when you read it.

Rachel's mother, Celia, thinks that Rachel got kidnapped because of her! Celia wonders whether or not she did a good job of protecting her own daughter.

At first, Ron just sees Rachel. Then he becomes, well.. Obsessed. He tries to make it casual when he looks for her, but he has a strong urge to see her more and more. Then, one night, the power goes out in the city and Ron has his chance. He kidnaps Rachel!

Everything starts off in a non-sexual way. Ron doesn't try anything with Rachel, so she starts to trust him. But should she really? Perhaps Rachel should be a little more cautious.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Helpless.