Rachel Piper's Reviews > The Liars' Club

The Liars' Club by Mary Karr

Apr 26, 11

bookshelves: funny, heavy, nonficton, own, tearjerkers, best-read-in-2011, all-time-favorites
Read from April 21 to 26, 2011

Heartbreaking, hysterical and wholly absorbing. I loved this book, even when it was wrenching sad, dark emotion out of me. Mary Karr can write; every word, sentence, transition and plot point is simply perfect.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Liars' Club.

Quotes Rachel Liked

Mary Karr
“I kept the fingers of my left hand crossed all the time, while on my right-hand fingers I counted anything at all—steps to the refrigerator, seconds on the clock, words in a sentence—to keep my head occupied. The counting felt like something to hang on to, as if finding the right numbers might somehow crack the code on whatever system ran the slippery universe we were moving through.”

Mary Karr
“Sure the world breeds monsters, but kindness grows just as wild...”

Mary Karr
“And you snap out of it. Or are snapped out of it. Never again will you lay a hand against yourself, not as long as there are plums to eat and somebody--anybody--who gives enough of a damn to haul them to you. So long as you bear the least nibblet of love for any other creature in this dark world, though in love portions are never stingy. There are no smidgens on pinches, only rolling abundance. That's how you acquire the resolution for survival that the upcoming years are about to demand. You don't give it. You earn it.”

04/23/2011 page 56
18.0% "I am in love with Mary Karr's prose."