Liz's Reviews > Wrapped

Wrapped by Jennifer Bradbury

Apr 29, 11

Read from April 21 to 23, 2011

This book surprised me! After reading the jacket flap, I was expecting paranormal. Instead, it was a delightful historical mystery and I completely enjoyed it. Agnes is an infectious main character--exactly what you want from a Victorian heroine: a little too smart for her own good, totally constrained by her society, and willing to tiptoe outside those social norms when adventure is at stake. The pace was just right, and kept me turning pages. I felt really immersed in Agnes's world, without too much explanation that would ruin the voice.

Bradbury struck just the right balance between historical accuracy and creative license. I wanted to believe everything she told me, and her storytelling made that possible.

I won't ruin this for you all with spoilers, but if you have ever loved the Victorian era, you need to read this book. The whole time I was reading, I kept thinking of Anne Perry's Pitt series, which I devoured in younger days. Agnes brought me back there, with a nice sprucing up for today's reader in the YA genre.

There had better be more where this came from, Jennifer Bradbury! More Agnes!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wrapped.