Patricia (Patricia's Particularity)'s Reviews > The Light of Asteria

The Light of Asteria by Elizabeth Isaacs

Jul 05, 11

bookshelves: young-adult, favorite, own, own-ya
Read from June 29 to July 05, 2011

There are many novels out there that try to combine the fantastical with elemental and paranormal while attempting to remain 'real'. Sadly most of these novels are not as successful as one would hope in bringing these, and many more, elements together to create a beautiful harmonic tale. Elizabeth Isaacs' The Light of Asteria is the EXCEPTION. I will be honest, I was timid when I first started to read this book. While Elizabeth Isaacs' writing is far from dull and horrible, it's synopsis seemed too far fetched, but there was still something about it that kept me going. To say I was not disappointed is one of the understatements of the year.

There is something wholesome and honest about the main characters. Nora... I dare you to find a bad bone in her body. Despite not being able to go to college with her best friends she finds the silver lining, knowing that her place is with her foster mother Edna. Edna is everything you could want in a mother, a grandmother, and a best friend. Like Nora, she lives life everyday to the fullest, refusing to be anything but happy. Then of course enters our main man, Gavin. When they literally collide into each other spark literally fly, and I mean literally. From that moment on, everything changes for not just Nora but everyone surrounding her.

It is hard to describe much about this amazing book without giving too much away. Nora and Gavin are connected in a way everyone dreams about - it is almost the perfect romance and relationship while remaining true and honest to reality. While at times things got a little sappy between the two, their relationship grows with every page, developing into something amazing and perfect. But what is an amazing novel without the remaining characters. I fell in love with every main character in this book (except the bad ones of course). Gavin's elf family each had their own distinct personality that flew off the page.

Beyond the romance and excitement and relationships, Elizabeth Isaacs creates an entirely different type of main character you would not think of: the setting. As this book focuses on elemental aspects (earth, wind, fire, etc.) it is very important for not only the characters but the readers to have respect for the setting itself. The connection created between the characters and the elements are crucial to the entire book - without it there would literally be no purpose for this book.

Elizabeth Isaac has created the perfect book for anyone to read. While it is on the heavy side of page numbers, and is a feat, it is worth every page. Isaacs' writing makes you feel you are actually there with Nora experiencing everything she is. When she feel happiness you feel happiness, when she feel pain you feel pain. It is impossible to describe every aspect of this book that makes it what it is - You just have to read it for yourself.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Light of Asteria.

Quotes Patricia Liked

Elizabeth Isaacs
“Survivors learn early on that tears are a luxury for the protected.”
Elizabeth Isaacs, The Light of Asteria: Kailmeyra's Last Hope