Tvaleros (SpadesHighReads)'s Reviews > Starcrossed

Starcrossed by Josephine Angelini

Jul 20, 2011

bookshelves: read-ya, books-i-own, favorites
Read in July, 2011 — I own a copy

By the Gods! Josephine Angelini is this times modern day William Shakespeare. Enthralled into a world of demigods, action, and love tragedies. Mythology can't be any more compelling!

Helen Hamilton, the protagonist, is a normal teenager - well, normal in the sense that Helen tries in every way to close herself off and avoid as much attention to appear "normal." However, with all her attempts Helen knows that she is different. More different than the "we differ in our own special way" kind of different. Though she doesn't know specifically what that meant yet. I love how Josephine Angelini actually takes you on the journey of uncovering that mystery right along with Helen.

I was caught off guard on how Lucas and Helen met because it wasn't something predictable. This whole book wasn't predictable! One of the many reasons why it's so amazing! Helen wanted to rip Lucas apart in the literal sense and enjoy every moment of it. Holy Corn Pops, right!? This cracked me up and the humor wasn't just in that part of the story - it was throughout. Josephine is a master in having you feel a full range of emotions, and I DO mean FULL... I was angry, upset, laughing, heart-broken, worried, happy, crying, hyperventilating - I wanted it to END because I was becoming a WRECK, BUT Starcrossed was addicting that I couldn't put down.
**breath** As you can see I am still fan-girling and it hasn't left my system =)

Okay, moving on... After Helen meets Lucas they're both pitted in this blood-lust that Helen doesn't quite understand, but she knows to kill Lucas and his family is the right thing to do. Lucas knows exactly why they feel this way towards each other, while Helen on the other hand is left confused.
Normally a non-violent person, Helen struggles with herself in figuring why she just has the urge to tear Lucas a new breathing hole. And questioning herself as to why does she keep hallucinating/drifting off into this land of nothingness and dirt every time she sleeps. Where she wakes up to blood crusted scraped feet, and dirt soiled bed sheets. Sleep walking? To where? Why?
It seems with every attempt that Helen and Lucas try to avoid each other, the more that they are compelled to cross each others paths. The Fates seem to have a very vindictive way of how past meets present meets future should play out.

I really enjoyed Starcrossed. I fell in love with all its characters, and although there are too many to mention, Josephine Angelini wrote it out so well that it'll amaze you that you'll remember each one because they helped in bringing the story together. I can't even imagine not having one being part of the story since each character plays a critical role.

The only con I have would be that it took a few chapters to get into, but once you were pulled in, your in for a roller coaster ride that you'll remember from days to come.

Josephine Angelini intricately weaves mythology to modern day that's so enticing that it becomes engaging that you need to follow through till the end. It was a new take to the old myths and I loved every minute of it. This is a novel that has become a part my all time favorites. Starcrossed has to be one of the best reads of 2011. A definite MUST READ and RECOMMEND.

For more on Starcrossed w/ Videos: Visit SpadesHighReads Thanks! ^_^
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Starcrossed.

07/20/2011 page 439
07/20/2011 page 496
100.0% "Nooooo I finished way too quickly... Thick this book may be, it certainly kept me wanting more!! Review to come!" 1 comment