Christine's Reviews > The Name of the Star

3219357
Apr 21, 2011

bookshelves: ya, own-it
Read in July, 2011

Ahhh! I really like Maureen Johnson's writing. I hate admitting it, but this is actually the first book of Maureen’s I’ve read. I’ve been following her on Twitter for ages and I’ve been meaning to read her books (I swear, I have — THREE of her books are currently sitting on my TBR bookcase), but it wasn’t until this book that something just clicked for me. I think it was the incorporation of Jack the Ripper, since I’ve always been fascinated with the unsolved case, as I’m sure most people are.

I don’t completely understand the British school system, so that part kind of confused me. Someone once tried explaining it to me, having gone through it himself, but it still kind of boggled my mind. Having to deal with moving to a different state is such a huge change that I can’t imagine moving to another country, but Rory handled herself very well. She had only a few bumps in the road before she felt comfortable there. You have to admire someone who can do that.

About halfway through the story, the Ripper murders come to the forefront of the plot and, unfortunately, everyone that was there for the first half of the book kind of fall to the wayside. I hope Jazza (the roommate) is around more in the second book, as I also liked her more than Boo. I never got the feeling that this series would be romance heavy, which is completely fine with me. Maureen can hold my interest with her humor and plot without involving romance — or even boys — at all. However, there was a certain guy I wish to know more about. He doesn’t have to necessarily become involved with Rory, but he intrigues me, as I think he will everyone who reads this book.

I was very happy with the ending. I’ve gotten so used to first books just ending without any resolution on ANYTHING that actually having some resolution was a nice change of pace. And now I eagerly await the next book while trying to figure out how the cliffhanger will affect not only Rory, but how everyone interacts with her once they find out.

Overall, it was a great book that I highly recommend.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Name of the Star.

Emily Did I give this one to you or do I have it still? *ponders* I know I have Devilish

Christine I think you gave me your copy to give to Caitlin. You can borrow mine if you want to read it.

Emily You can borrow Devilish if you don't have it.