Lisa Frase's Reviews > The Plot Chickens

The Plot Chickens by Mary Jane Auch

Apr 21, 11

bookshelves: picture-books

Henrietta is a chicken who loves to read, so one day she decides to write a book. Of course, she is just a chicken, so of course the publisher rejects her book. Well, this isn't an ordinary chicken, mind you, she is a chicken who perseveres. Henrietta is a self-publishing chicken, but alas, the review from "The Corn Book Magazine" is not exactly a hit, five stars, or two thumbs up. I won't give away the sweet little ending, but I will tell you there is hope for all writers...even a chicken.

Kids and adults (writers in particular) will get a kick out of this funny little picture book. My fourth graders thought it was pretty darn funny, but I must confess, I had to explain a few of the "plays on words" made by the author. They did get the cheesiest word plays, like, "eggcitedly" and "eggshilerating".

The Plot Chickens is a fun read aloud with some great teaching opportunities. After all, Henrietta reads the "rules of writing" and applies them to her pitiful little plot, but as far as rules go, there is a lesson in each one of them. For example: Rule 1: You need a main character.

As far as picture books for teaching writing go, it's a gem of a book to have around when you introduce your fiction writing unit to your students. Once you finish reading this book, teach your students how to hatch their own plot.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Plot Chickens.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Peggy (new)

Peggy Shoemaker Thanks Lisa,
I love your book reviews. They are gems for readers especially teachers.