Eloise Meachum's Reviews > The Gardner Heist

The Gardner Heist by Ulrich Boser

Apr 25, 11

Read from April 21 to 24, 2011

I first heard of the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum in Boston when I was perusing a book about Vermeer's paintings and saw the word STOLEN in parentheses below a picture of The Concert. I looked on the internet to find out more about the theft and became fascinated by this unsolved mystery.

In 1990 two men posing as Boston police officers entered the museum and stole 13 works of art, including three Rembrandts in addition to The Concert. None of the works has ever been recovered, and today they are valued at more than $500 million.

On a recent trip to Boston I visited the Gardner and was haunted and saddened by the empty frames that mark where the stolen works once hung. In my attempt to learn if any new leads had developed recently, I came across this book by Ulrich Boser.

I found The Gardner Heist engrossing and hard to put down. Boser revisits various suspects and theories that the FBI, police and private detectives have investigated in the years since the crime. The myriad dead-end leads and wild-goose chases made for a compelling story, and they enlightened me as to how difficult it is to unravel a case like this.

I hope that one day the efforts and tenacity of Boser and others who have labored to solve this mystery are successful and the art is returned to the Gardner.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Gardner Heist.