Anne's Reviews > The Crazy Daze of Motherhood

The Crazy Daze of Motherhood by Jane Isfeld Still

Apr 21, 2011

Read in January, 2011

I recently read a great little book by author Jane Still titled The Crazy Daze of Motherhood, and have to admit, this author knows all about things maternal — things good, bad, and things downright funny. As my husband will tell you, it's rare for me to laugh out loud when reading a book [or listening to his jokes :-)], but for The Crazy Daze of Motherhood I did! And more than a few times.

This book is a collection of true stories and experiences from Jane's life. It is 83 pages long and a fun, light read. The perfect Mother’s Day gift! And, of course, a delightful gift for new moms, old moms, and anyone else who loves a good chuckle (dads included).

An excerpt: Mother's Day was a wonderful concept. Many ideas of how to celebrate that day had nice potential, in theory, like breakfast in bed. Maybe it was just me — but being held hostage in my bed and forced to ignore the crashing and banging of six excited children and their culinary illiterate father rummaging around through my cupboards didn't smack of festivity.

And another: When my husband and I applied for our marriage license, we simply walked up to the clerk and paid our money. He handed us a little piece of paper and said, “Next.” That was it. There was no interrogation, no screening of any kind. No one asked me if I was an ambulance driver, a paramedic, a dog whisperer, a pest exterminator, a plumber, or an emergency responder of any other ilk, nor if I was ever likely to become one.

One of my favorite stories was Doctor Blues on page 25. If you've ever witnessed a new father stressed out with baby woes, you'll connect with this one. Jane tells it so well. Her dry humor brings a unique spin to everyday concerns.

I hope this author writes more books along these lines. How about one on toddlers? Or teenagers? Teens can be really funny.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Crazy Daze of Motherhood.