MJ Nicholls's Reviews > Asterios Polyp

Asterios Polyp by David Mazzucchelli

Apr 21, 11

bookshelves: novels, merkins, graphic-novels
Read on April 21, 2011

The first proper graphic novel I’ve read! This was such a beautiful and heartbreaking piece of work, it’ll be nigh on impossible to top it. It is rich in glorious meditation, comedy, irony and romance, weaving deep questions of binary opposites, architectural philosophy, life-the universe-and-everything around a dissolving relationship story. I don’t have the vocab or knowledge to comment on the artwork’s nuances, but the artist subtly conveys shifting moods, attitudes, histories, metaphors and so on with clever little flourishes and lovingly precise ATD. Makes me want to abandon prose. Maybe those hip people murmuring in my ear were right, and this is the future of storytelling.
16 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Asterios Polyp.

message 1: by Mariel (new)

Mariel Everyone on my friends list has given this four or five stars. It looks like a must read!

message 2: by MJ (new) - rated it 5 stars

MJ Nicholls I'd say so. Thought it might have spoiled me for other graphic novels.

message 3: by Mariel (new)

Mariel When I read something really special I take care to read something really great lest I get restless and go through a reading drought. I know the feeling.

message 4: by Lee (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lee If you haven't tried Jimmy Corrigan: The Smartest Kid on Earth and The Complete Maus, you're in for a treat, Mr. Nicholls.

message 5: by MJ (new) - rated it 5 stars

MJ Nicholls Delicious. Thank you. And they even have copies at my local library.

message 6: by Lee (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lee This is also awesome, but probably not at the library: The ACME Novelty Library #20

Karl I was thinking of telling you about this one but you got there already. Essex Country by Jeff Lemire is another one.