David's Reviews > The Quantum Thief

M 50x66
May 12, 11

bookshelves: first-reads
Read from April 17 to 18, 2011

Quantum Thief started off as an almost scientist space-fantasy (think space opera, but with telepathy and magic,) where ‘quantum’ took the place of the force, with about as much explanation or apparent internal consistency as the midi-clorians. And once I had comfortably categorized the book, about 50 pages in, it surprised me. Repeatedly. The superficial banter of ‘quantum cryptography’ and ‘prisoner’s dilemma’ was replaced with fully formed societies built around the posited technology, with consequences perfectly mapped out, and a fantastic plot grounded in the world that was built.

The book takes the futurist, alien human futures of Signal-to-Noise (by Eric S. Nylund), the adventure and inventive societies of Niven, and the feeling of fantasy grounded in science from Heinlein’s Glory Road.’ The plot is a roller coaster, and the book bears re-reading to pick up some of those easy to miss plot points in between the action sequences. Aside from the superfluous sex scene, the only real problem I have with the book is that I don’t get to read the sequel yet.

I received the book through the First Reads program, but I recommend it highly, and will buy the sequel, eventually.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Quantum Thief.