Beth's Reviews > The Future of Us

The Future of Us by Jay Asher

Nov 21, 11

bookshelves: ya-lit, arcs
Read from November 03 to 19, 2011

The year is 1996. Emma and Josh have been best friends and next door neighbors their whole lives, though Josh wishes they were more than that. His attempt to move their friendship to the next level failed miserably. Now things are awkward between the two of them.

One day Emma receives her very first computer along with an America Online CD-ROM. But upon first signing onto AOL, she is immediately taken to a website called Facebook where she sees her life 15 years into the future - and she doesn't like what she sees. So she takes it upon herself to try to change her future.

Told in alternating chapters between Josh and Emma's perspectives, The Future of Us is a quick, fun read and even though the story takes place only fifteen years ago, it reads like historical fiction. The reason why it feels like historical fiction is because technology has moved so quickly in the past 15 years, that what was technologically advanced back then, is like a dinosaur now. In fact, I worry that the impact of this book will be obsolete in less than a year due to how quickly even Facebook changes.

I honestly think, despite the fact that this book is categorized as YA, people in their thirties who were in high school fifteen years ago, will identify with this book more than teenagers will. I even mentioned this to Jay and Carolyn when I met them at NCTE a couple weeks ago, and Jay gave a good, authorly response, which is that he thinks the book is for everyone. But then he mentioned that depending on what age you are, you will read the story differently. As someone who was in high school in 1996, I can tell you that lots of feelings of nostalgia bubbled up as I was reading. Teenagers will not have those overwhelming feelings when they read "Crash into Me" and "Dave Matthews Band" in the same sentence.

I was, however, hoping this book would be more profound than it was. Instead, it was more of a fluff read. Still, sometimes fluff reads are just what you need. This book came to me at a time when I was in a reading funk and got me out of it. So while the depth of the story wasn't there, the motivation to keep reading was.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Future of Us.

11/03/2011 "I'm only on p. 3 but this is already making me feel nostalgic!"
11/13/2011 page 145
47.0% "This book might be marketed as YA, but people in their 30s will totally love this book. All the pop culture references from when we were in high school will send you into bouts of Nostalgic reminiscing."
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kelley (new)

Kelley I saw an ad for this on tv the other day. I was a little freaked that it was being played as a historical fiction as well. We aren't that old but I supposed to the generation it's geared for we are. When did that happen?