Sab H. (YA Bliss)'s Reviews > The Future of Us

The Future of Us by Jay Asher

Apr 21, 2011

bookshelves: ala11, own-arc, own, autographed, magical-realism
Read from July 06 to 08, 2011

This book has the kind of premise you read and go, "OMG how awesome" and then, "Why didn't I think of that!?". Seriously, as time goes by, do we forget how the world functioned before all this new technology? My grandma sure doesn't, but me? I think it takes a book like this to actually feel like back in the 90's.

Emma gets her first computer and accidentally logs onto Facebook and finds her future profile, fifteen years from now. So okay, I'm 26, so back in 1996, I was 12 and on my way to being a pain-in-the-ass teenager. I can obviously relate to every little thing in this book and that made it that much more fun and awesome for me. It has hilarious parts and it has parts that were a little nostalgic for those of us who lived through it.

Emma and Josh were fresh voices and uncomplicated characters, and the portrayals of their futures on Facebook were so spot-on that I wanted more. This is a light and fun read that is far from Jay Asher's poignant and scarring first book, Thirteen Reasons Why. But I enjoyed it a lot and even though the pace got kind of heavy at some point, I wanted to know where Emma and Josh would end up.

An absolutely great premise with a cute fresh take on technology and our eagerness/fear of the future makes this a unique read!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Future of Us.

07/06/2011 page 31
10.0% "Ha, you know, this is *recent* Historical Fiction. Too funny!"
07/06/2011 page 83
27.0% "Seriously, too fun!"
07/07/2011 page 168
54.0% "This is getting complicated.."
07/08/2011 page 241
78.0% "Aww, Josh!!! *melts* <3" 2 comments

Sarah ahhh i kind of hate you right now :( no offense.

Sab H.  (YA Bliss) lol, non taken! :)

Sarah i seriously cannot wait to read it! one of the most anticipated books for me.

Sarah oh yeah. i read it and loooooooved it!