Shawna's Reviews > Nearly a Lady

Nearly a Lady by Alissa Johnson

Jul 10, 11

bookshelves: cop-bodyguard-govop-merc-military, historical-romance, historical-romance-regency, author-alissa-johnson, recd-by-rane, hero-abused-scarred-tortured-angst, hh-post-traumatic-stress-disorder, animals-matter, friends-to-lovers, hh-across-the-tracks, heroine-tomboy-lady-in-pants, heroine-odd-spinster-wallflower, heroine-naïve-virgin-like-a-virgin, heroine-kickass-spirited-strong, heroine-i-adore, heroine-girl-next-door, heroine-destitute-poor, heroine-commoner-lower-class, hero-brooding, hero-gentleman, hero-mix-of-alpha-beta, favorite-romance-couple-hh-pairings, favorites, 2011-reads, 5-stars-plus, angsty-dark-heavy-lotsa-drama, best-fave-reads-of-2011, best-top-favorites, best-wittiest-banter-dialogue, hero-im-gaga-over, hero-stalk-me-baby-possessive, hero-titled-wealthy-lord, heroine-abused-traumatic-past-rape, hh-aristocracy-nobility-royalty, hh-limp-paraplegic-wheelchair, hh-love-commitment-marriage-phobic, hh-physical-mental-disability-ill, hh-rags-to-riches, hh-social-class-wealth-matters, hh-sweet-nice-paired-vs-gruff-cynic, humorous-at-times-or-fluffy-fun, i-read-library, made-me-cry, satisfying-secondary-romance, steam-2-warm, sweet-romance-left-smile-on-my-face, heroine-miss-independent, hero-military-war-veteran, hero-recluse-loner-lonewolf, heroine-free-spirit-quirky, heroine-plucky-lively-feisty-spunky, hero-silent-quiet-type-reticent, heroine-hoyden, heroine-country-lass, heartwarming, feel-good-read-pick-me-upper, a-all-time-favorite-heroine, best-friendships, brothers-sisters-cousins-family, hh-disfigured-injured-scarred-ill, heroine-makeover, a-all-time-best-top-fave-dik-reads, hr-regency-napoleonic-era-wars
Recommended to Shawna by: It started with Rane and then Diana sealed it. :)
Recommended for: Fans of Kleypas's "Love in the Afternoon", quirky heroines & tortured heroes
Read on July 10, 2011

5+ stars – Historical/Regency Romance

Books like this lovely, heartwarming gem make me grateful for Goodreads, which has enabled me to make such great friends who share my passion for romance and happily ever afters and to discover so many wonderful new-to-me authors.

Nearly a Lady is such a delightful, beautiful, emotional, sweet story that’s all the more powerful because of its quiet, honest simplicity and endearing characters who steal your heart. The genuine friendship and tender, gradual romance between generous, guarded, tortured war veteran hero Gideon and quirky, iron-willed, compassionate country maiden Winnefred is one of the most engaging and touching I’ve read in a while.

Winnefred, who’d much prefer strolling in the countryside with her beloved pet goat Claire than promenading in crowded ballrooms of the ton, is a plucky, funny, utterly lovable, and unforgettable heroine. And she and her reluctant protector and hero, Gideon, are absolutely enchanting together and perfect for each other in every way. Their relationship reminded me a little of Beatrix and Christopher from Lisa Kleypas’s Love in the Afternoon...both feature a spirited, eccentric, nature-and-animal-loving heroine and PTSD-suffering war veteran hero...but Nearly a Lady has a charming splendor all its own.

The secondary romance between Winnefred’s best friend Lilly and Gideon’s brother Lucien was yummy icing on the already delicious cake, and even though I was somewhat surprised and a tad disappointed that it was wrapped up in this, it was still a nice addition to the story.

This is a truly remarkable reminder of how sometimes the simplest stories can be the most affecting and of why I love romance and HEAs so much. 5 sweetly satisfied stars!

Favorite passages:

Gideon’s appraisal of Winnefred’s unique charms:

He didn’t want another man seeing—really seeing—Winnefred.

Whether she was in a complicated ball gown or a simple dress, he was the only man who truly saw her. He knew that beneath the fragile silk was the steel spine of a woman who’d confronted a thief in her stable and beaten him to the ground. He knew that behind the soft smile was the unconquerable will that had kept two women alive on five pounds a year. Well-rehearsed manners hid a brash tongue, and the excuse of a headache would keep quiet the fact she was graceless as a lumbering army. Only he knew the simple, wild beauty of her. It was a treasure he wanted to hoard. She was a secret he wanted to keep all to himself.

He was being unreasonable and he knew it. But even as he berated himself for being a dog in the manger, he scowled as Winnefred laughed at something Gratley said. And he wasn’t sure if it was better or worse when Gratley laughed at something Winnefred said in return. He only knew he didn’t like it.

Gideon’s honest, vulnerable, sigh-worthy declaration:
(view spoiler)

26 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Nearly a Lady.

UniquelyMoi ~ 1-Click RockChick I didn't read the spoilers, but wow.. you've got me wanting to run out and buy this one!

message 2: by Shawna (last edited Jul 10, 2011 05:34PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Shawna I still haven't stopped sighing. I adored Winnefred and Gideon! It's definitely a character and dialogue centered romance, which I loved for it's realistic, sweet simplicity. I think you'll really enjoy it, Dhes!

Catherine Great review, Shawna. I'm glad you enjoyed this book as much as I did. The romance between the hero and heroine was absolutely wonderful.

UniquelyMoi ~ 1-Click RockChick Catherine wrote: "Great review, Shawna. I'm glad you enjoyed this book as much as I did. The romance between the hero and heroine was absolutely wonderful."

Did you recommend this one to me, Catherine? I can't remember!

Catherine UniquelyMoi *~*Dhestiny*~* wrote: "Catherine wrote: "Great review, Shawna. I'm glad you enjoyed this book as much as I did. The romance between the hero and heroine was absolutely wonderful."

Did you recommend this one to me, Cat..."

Not formally, but I've pimped it often in conversations. :)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) Lovely review, Shawna. I'll have to pick this on up the next I go to the bookstore.

Rane Wonderful Review Shawna! I'm happy you loved this book, it was just such a deeply beautiful romance!

message 8: by Juliana (new) - added it

Juliana Great review Shawna! And wonderful quote selection (it's in my TBR so didn't read Gideon's yet).

UniquelyMoi ~ 1-Click RockChick I just got notification that Barnes and Noble is holding this for me :) I refuse to pay full price for an ebook! I'll go the dead tree format so that if I end up not liking it, I can trade it in!

Thanks again for a great review, Shawna!

Shawna Thanks ladies!

Catherine, I loved that it focused on the friendship/romance between Winnefred and Gideon without distractions taking away from the beauty of them simply being together. And the dialogue was great.

Danielle, I think you'll enjoy it. It has the perfect mix of lighthearted humor and deep emotion.

Rane, I've had Alissa Johnson on my list of authors to try and your review of this sold me. So thanks and huggles again!

Juliana, I think (*hope*) you'll heart Winnefred as much as I did. She's such a quirky, lovable heroine.

Dhes, Yay! I'm glad you're getting a copy. I look forward to hearing what you think when you read it.

message 11: by AgentScully (new)

AgentScully Lovely review Shawna!

Shawna Thanks, Scully! I just adored this book to bits! *huggles Winnefred and Gideon tight*

Shawna Catherine/Rane, Do ya'll think I'll enjoy her Providence series? It seems like they're a bit lighter fare compared to this, right?

I'm definitely looking forward to An Unexpected Gentleman!

Catherine Shawna wrote: "Catherine/Rane, Do ya'll think I'll enjoy her Providence series? It seems like they're a bit lighter fare compared to this, right?

I'm definitely looking forward to [book:An Unexpected Gentleman|1..."

I've only read two of the books in the series so far. I thought they were fun and wouldn't discourage you from reading them, but I don't think they can even touch this book, so I would recommend not going into the read expecting it.

Shawna Thanks, Catherine! I might try them when I'm in the mood for lighter fare, but I'm most looking forward to An Unexpected Gentleman by Alissa Johnson!

Catherine Shawna wrote: "Thanks, Catherine! I might try them when I'm in the mood for lighter fare, but I'm most looking forward to An Unexpected Gentleman by Alissa Johnson!"

Me too. It looks so good!

Shawna I was expecting/hoping it would be about Lilly and Gideon and surprised she wrapped up their story in this. But the excerpt for it sounded promising, so I'm sure it will be great.

Catherine Shawna wrote: "I was expecting/hoping it would be about Lilly and Gideon and surprised she wrapped up their story in this. But the excerpt for it sounded promising, so I'm sure it will be great."

I was really surprised that it wrapped up in this book, too. I was expecting it to be prep for the next book.

Ally72 Shawna...You have already sold me on this book when you said Christopher and Beatrix!!! Lovely review!!! I am adding it to my pile.

Shawna Thanks, Ally! I think you'll enjoy it!

message 21: by Kelli (new) - added it

Kelli This sounds wonderful - Yep Im going to put my order into amazon now lol.

Shawna This is such a heartfelt, sweet romance. I hope you enjoy it, Kelli!

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) I concur with your review, Miss Shawna!

Shawna I'm so glad you enjoyed it, Danielle. I adored this story to bits. The romance between Winnefred and Gideon is so powerful and beautiful in its genuine simplicity and quiet strength.