Karen's Reviews > The Moment

The Moment by Douglas Kennedy

May 31, 2011

Read from April 21 to May 15, 2011

Douglas Kennedy's newest novel The Moment defines and spotlights the moments that change our lives. Kennedy grasps the little things that occur in life, that in retrospect, become THE moments that change or define a life. The story is told primarily through Thomas Nesbitt's memories, as he relives his life as a travel writer in 1984 Germany, during the time of the "Berlin wall" and of a woman named Petra Dussmann.

I really loved The Moment. Kennedy uses words the way a painter uses paint on a canvas, highlighting the highs and shadowing the lows. For those who don't remember the Cold War time frame, The Moment serves as a brilliant learning opportunity, a chance to see the world as it was, to see the heartbreak of two people divided by a political system that robbed people of the freedom to live and their freedom to love. Kennedy also clearly uses Nesbitt's remembrances as a way to remind us that even the smallest decision, the smallest moment can haunt us forever. Nesbitt's decisions touch and forever mark the life of another woman and mold the life of his daughter.

Forever changed and forever haunted, once Nesbitt receives Petra's box, Nesbitt finally tries to come to terms with his choices at the important moments of his life.

This is a book that I'll keep, it's on my book shelf now, and I'll read it again and will surely see something else in it that I missed during the first read. But isn't that the way moments are in retrospect?

I give The Moment 4 1/2 out of 5 stars.

This galley was provided to me by the publisher and in no way affected my review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Moment.