Jeanne's Reviews > The Silent Land

The Silent Land by Graham Joyce

Apr 21, 11

bookshelves: fairy-tale
Read in April, 2011

Would definitely suggest this for people to read. Reminded me of The Girl with Glass Feet, not because it is alike, but the fantastic reality and feel of the story. And, perhaps, the cold.

A couple are trapped in an avalanche while out skiing. They dig themselves out only to find that the entire resort has been depopulated. Worried that everyone was evacuated due to the potential of a larger avalanche, Zoe and Jack try to make their way out of town. Plagued with obstacles, they can't manage to get out.

Strange things happen. Neither of them has an answer for what is happening to them and around them. But you'll know. Or at least you should be able to guess. I like stories that I can figure out but that keep me reading.

Memory is a big theme. Zoe's family Christmas tree is a great big fat symbol. The discussions between Zoe and Jack. The stories they tell each other about each other. Perhaps that's why this resonates with me. How much of what we remember, particularly of our childhood, is actually because others have told us about ourselves?

Life and Death, obviously, are important as well. Anyone know what the name Zoe means? It's almost insulting, Joyce's hitting us over the head here. It's a beautifully written story, though, with just enough tension to keep you moving along.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Silent Land.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Liviu There is a big difference between this and The Girl with Glass Feet; there despite the utter fantasy of the premise, the world felt real, the characters were anchored in reality and you cared despite or becuase the slow moving but inexorable tragedy; here I could not care a jot about the two since they read like "paper people" with no anchor in reality; still GJ is a great writer and the book drew me in by its styke

Jeanne Liviu wrote: "There is a big difference between this and The Girl with Glass Feet; there despite the utter fantasy of the premise, the world felt real, the characters were anchored in reality and you cared despi..."

But, to me, here the world felt real. The characters, perhaps not I'll grant you. "Paper people," you say, and maybe I'd agree they're sketched but that is kind of the point. They aren't real. I mean, even in the fiction sense of "real".