Laura's Reviews > Skim

Skim by Mariko Tamaki

Sep 28, 08

bookshelves: ala-midwinter-arc08, comics-graphicnovels, autographed, own
Read in February, 2008

I thought this graphic novel was very cute, whether you think that is a good thing or not. It's very much a slice of life for Skim, a girl who is dealing with high school, being heavy, Asian American, Wicca, her parent's divorce, losing a best friend, gaining a new one, the suicide of a local boy, possibly being a lesbian. There isn't much of a plot, even though there are all these aspects in a short book. Everything is very fluid and seems as though told through Skim's head, with the adolescent girl concept of flitting from one idea to the next. The image boxes are also very fluid, and occasionally full page or two page spreads have one large picture, often dwarfing the teen girl in the larger world, or Canadian forest behind her school. My one art complaint is that most of the girls look exactly alike, it is black and white, and shading the hair can only do so much.

All in all, I think both teens and adults can enjoy this, and really connect with Skim, as long as no one expects a really wrapped up plot that ties together.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Skim.