Amelia Chameleon's Reviews > Veins

Veins by Drew
Rate this book
Clear rating

's review
Apr 27, 2011

liked it
Read from April 21 to 27, 2011

Not really a humor book as was described but interesting nonetheless. Honestly, I purchased this expecting to laugh. Instead there was a lot of cringing and if I think about it too much I could almost cry. Essentially through a series of wrong-place-at-the-wrong-time mistakes the narrator goes from an awkward (maybe slightly Aspberger's) boy harrassed at school and living in a dysfunctional home to being a convict. It was a little hard for me to read because I recognize the type of person that MD is and I've always felt extremely empathetic toward them and yet at the same time powerless to help. 90% of my nightmares are situations like MD finds himself in; wrongly accused, the odd man out, and obvious candidate for punishment (the other 10% are King Kong hunting me while I try to find a serviceable restroom so clearly I have issues).

It was well written and a good angle on telling this type of story (narrator POV, everyday vernacular) but as others have mentioned already there are a good deal of grammatical errors (some clearly to define the character's speech, others I think are typos) and a few misspelled words, etc. that take you out of the story if you're picky (I noticed them but moved on).

It was an interesting glimpse into Drew Toothpaste's mind. If you're looking for humor, stick to the daily comics.
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Veins.
Sign In »

No comments have been added yet.