Laura's Reviews > Firestorm

Publisher: Love Inspired Suspense
July 2010
ISBN: 978-0-373-44403-8
Genre: Inspirational/romantic suspense

Kitty McGuire has returned to her home town of Pine Lake to clear her father’s name. She received a phone call from an unverified source claiming that he can prove that Kitty’s deceased father is an arsonist. Kitty drops everything and returns home, to find that her father’s cabin has been turned over to the city, and that she is being accused of breaking and entering.

Luke Tanner is an FBI agent working as a temporary fire chief in Pine Lake ever since the previous fire chief, Kitty’s father, was killed. Now, all the evidence is pointing to Mr. McGuire starting the fire that burned down the hotel and killed two men—even though Mr. McGuire was several miles away, dead, at the time the blaze started, as Kitty pointed out.

It soon becomes apparent that someone lured Kitty back into town with ulterior motives. A string of arson erupts that could engulf them all—unless they find the real arsonist…

FIRESTORM is the debut novel by Ms. Riley. I heard good things about it, on ACFW and I thought I’d give it a try. I didn’t realize at the time that it was about a string of arsons, for some reason I thought it’d be about smoke jumpers. But that is not important.

The cover of the book is absolutely gorgeous, and Luke Tanner is a strong, capable hero, struggling with a traumatized son, the death of his wife, and a serious lack of trust. Likewise, Kitty is also suffering from a lack of trust, and has a tendency to act without thinking.

Throw these two characters together and you have conflict. And this doesn’t let up through the course of the book. I did grow to care for Luke. Kitty, not so much, though she did have her good points. Some of the events seemed rather contrived and even cliché for this genre. Still a good read, and if you are looking for a good romantic suspense, you might want to consider getting FIRESTORM. Available on www.amazon.com or at www.steeplehill.com. Discussion questions are included at the end of the book. 215 pages. $5.50.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Firestorm.