Amanda's Reviews > Loving Frank

Loving Frank by Nancy Horan

Apr 21, 2011

Read in April, 2011

This is the second book I've recently read relating to Chicago's architectural history - I can't explain why that specific topic draws me in but this was another great insight into our country's creative history. Even more than that, though, this was a beautifully written (mostly historical) love story that emphasizes the mood of the Women's Revolution in the early 1900s and the struggle that resulted against staid societal ideas and, more specifically, a woman's maternal instincts.

I gained even more respect for Frank Lloyd Wright's work from this book, as it is explained on a much more emotional level than I'd previously experienced. So much of Wright's work is a product of his upbringing, the times, and especially a prescient understanding of American culture. Mamah's story of an unexpected affair makes Wright seem more accessible and humanized and the struggles they must overcome to be with each other are touching. Horan is right to make sure that her main characters never come across as angels - they make poor decisions and hurt those around them for selfish reasons, but the reader also feels how the characters must weigh the costs of selfishness against resentment to their loved ones.

I think this is one of the few books I've picked up recently that I would re-read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Loving Frank.