Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms)'s Reviews > Forever

Forever by Maggie Stiefvater

Dec 19, 11

bookshelves: could-not-put-it-down-books, favorites, favorite-series, love-the-audio
Read from July 13 to 14, 2011 — I own a copy, read count: 2

Edit: LOVE This audio. The four who read this book and Linger are incredible and perfect for their roles. They don't "read" it, they "are" the character. Wonderful!

I honestly don't know where to start in a review of this last book in this beautiful trilogy. How to explain what is so compelling about the story of Sam and Grace along with those who surround them, especially Cole and Isabel. I've tried to figure out why this story affects me so deeply. I know it is the writing which is impossible to describe. I'll give a few examples below but they will not touch the surface of the feelings this book brings out because they will be out of context.

How to describe Sam and Grace. The entire story centers around a pack of wolves in Minnesota who are not really wolves at all. In summer they are normal human beings, but in winter when it turns cold they turn to wolves with no memory of their human lives. There is the beauty of the freedom of the wolf pack and the anguish of those humans who know there will be a time when they will never turn back to human and will live out perhaps ten to fifteen years and then die. Grace was bitten as a child in the first book but never changed. Sam saved her from the pack and she has a bond with this golden eyed wolf she often sees in the winter time. When she and the yellow eyed boy find each other in the summer time, it begins a beautiful innocent love. A friend of mine described Sam and Grace as teens with old souls - that works for me. They know they are facing the loss of each other when winter comes as this is Sam's last summer. This is all in the first book, but it is so much a part of the story I had to put it here.

In the second book, Linger, a new wolf enters the story....Cole. This book is so well done because there is the sweet and potentially tragic love story between Sam and Grace and then the hot and wild story of Cole and Grace's friend Isabel. There is no love triangle in this story. Cole loves Grace and Sam almost like they are one person and in a way they seem that way. His relationship with Isabel is illusive and difficult but compelling.

There is so much more to this story. Grace's parents and Isabel's parents are a study in people who should never have children. They are not cruel or restrictive but rather totally tied up in their own lives. Sam's childhood story is tragic. Cole's is tragic, partly because he made it so. Both were very broken when they were bitten and became wolves and came to Beck, the leader of the pack and father figure to Sam.

The first book (Shiver) is told in the first person by Grace and Sam, each having their own chapters. It only took a little bit to get into this style as the chapter has their name on it. The next book is done the same way but with the four characters. I would have said that would not work. It did. We are inside the heads of all of these four which gives great insight to what is happening with them.

SAM: She's going to die before I can find her. She's going to die inches from my fingertips, sucking water into her nose and breathing mud. I will live this moment again and again every day of my life."

COLE: "The thing I was beginning to figure out about Sam and Grace, the thing abut Sam not being able to function without her, was that sort of love only worked when you were sure both people would always be around for each other. If one half of the equation left, or died, or was slightly less perfect in their love, it became the most tragic, pathetic story invented, laughable in its absurdity. Without Grace, Sam was a joke without a punch line."

GRACE: "Part of me felt a prickle of loss, because some days, I loved being a wolf. I loved this feeling of knowing the woods, of being a part of them. The utter freedom of it. But more of me hated the oblivion, the confusion, the ache of wanting to know more but being unable to. For all that I loved being a wolf, I loved being Grace more."

I realize I am reviewing the series and not this one book, but I can't do this book without whoever reads it understanding the story. This is how two people with a deep forever love cope with one being human and the other not. It is how they cope with the knowledge that they have a limited time together. It is the story of Cole and finding out how much more there is to him than it appeared at first And it is the story of Cole's belief that he can find, if not a cure, an answer to what is happening to all of them in the pack. Most of the happenings in these books do not involve a lot of action. This book had more action than I wanted, but it was all necessary to bring it to a conclusion. If all good things must come to an end, I am satisfied with the final chapter of this story. Did it tie up all the loose ends and they all walked off into the sunset holding hands? No. But it left a way for it all to work out and I have already decided what I believe will happen to these wonderful characters I have learned to love. Thanks Maggie Stiefvater for this beautiful story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Forever.

07/13/2011 page 167

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Michele (Reading Lark/CanadianTwiMom) Great review Terry! I loved how you pulled out the parts that really resonated with you! Those were all so meaningful! I really enjoyed our discussions as we read it! :)

Borby YES I AGREE. Great review. (random stranger)

Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms) Thanks, Borby. I love this series and the audio is beyond awesome.

Borby I think I'll try the audio too. (I read the books)

Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms) They change he reader for Sam from Shiver to Linger and it is a good move. The one in Shiver is okay but the guy in the next two is better. Grace is perfect and Cole.....wow. Cole in the audio is just beyond amazing. He does not read - he IS Cole and I might say sexy beyond belief. Just a great voice.

Borby Wow...sounds great. I wouldn't have thought about trying it myself...have a bad impression for audio books in general. But I will try this. (since I already know I love the story )
So, thanks again! :)

Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms) I only buy audiobooks of books I have already read and love - and know I will read again. Which makes my collection fairly small!

message 9: by Borby (last edited Jan 16, 2012 07:59PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Borby Ooh. I have only bought ONE book in my life, I think... but that's because I seldom spend any money at all -_-
(Yes, I'm young enough to say that.)