ReviewsByMolly's Reviews > Lowcountry Summer

Apr 24, 11

Recommended to ReviewsByMolly by: TLC
Recommended for: everyone
Read in April, 2011

Southern fiction at it's best! Wait. Hold on a second. I didn't think that at FIRST. It was a little slow for me in the beginning with Caroline dragging on about her life. But, after a bit, I started relaxing INTO the book. I became one with the book (zen, huh?), I became a part of the southern town and it's warm characters. Dorothea Benton Frank knows how to write women's fiction and how to make it GOOD.

Caroline's life is full of craziness. Drama, craziness, what ever you want to call. It's full of it. But, not in a bad way. She's single, and her son is off at the wonderful world of college. Her brother Trip, married to Frances Mae-the drunken redneck gone wild, and dating Rusty, the woman of his dreams, is worried about the safety of his daughters when his soon-to-be ex wife (he hopes!) crashes her car when she's drunk....injuring their daughter. Her son is dating a new girl, and he won't tell her about her. Hmmm.....all of this is happening on her birthday too. Wow. What a birthday. But, with enough of the dramatic, and at times a wee bit suspenseful, twists and turns, it was enough to keep me laughing, hanging on and down right hungry for more of Frank's work!

Lowcountry Summer is a follow up to Frank's Plantation. I didn't get to read it, sadly, but, now that I've read this one, I MUST go back and read it! I want more of this lowcountry, southern goodness that comes in the form of awesome characters, moving plot line and down right fantastic writing!

If you are new to Frank's work, Lowcountry Summer is a great place to start. Though it's a amongst many in a series, I wasn't confused at all, and this would make a good stand alone. If you are a Frank fan, then don't wait any longer to add this to your list of summer reads! It's 5 star worthy and dysfunctional fun! Well done, Dorothea Benton Frank, on a fantastic southern fiction novel!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lowcountry Summer.