Brenda's Reviews > Tattoo

2002429
Apr 21, 11

bookshelves: 2011-reads, fantasy, magic, paranormal-crazy, ya
Read from April 18 to 20, 2011

** spoiler alert ** This was a quickie in the world of books. I saw your lovely cover and had to have you.

The story is familiar enough involving four very close high school friends. The girls purchase accessories at a seemingly normal boutique booth at their local mall. The temporary tattoos have hidden surprises and soon the girls have powers beyond their imaginings. But like all stories like this, there are darker forces at work and the girls must find a way to keep a homicidal super-being from stealing souls of the unsuspecting youth in their town. A true case of "buyer beware!"

The pacing was quick, and the plot simple and straight forward. The characters were common cliches in the writing world, but the author made good use of them. Pretty much all the stuff you would expect to find in a Young Adult novel. What I like about this book is that the author has a good "voice" in storytelling. It's clear that this is one of her early works, but it works for me.

My only critique of this particular book was the threat of a dark curfew without any sign of breaking it. It was a missed opportunity for definite consequences to the principles, thus showing more of an impact of the baddie and what she was capable of AND upping the stakes leading toward the face-off at the end.

Everyone needs some light reads in their life no matter how high your brow is or how many literary papers you read. I make claim to neither of these high aspirations so I can read on without guilt or justification. It was cute. It was fun. I liked it. End of story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tattoo.