Jana 's Reviews > Half-Blood

Half-Blood by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Jul 18, 2012

bookshelves: xmas-gifts, 2011-reads, 2012-reads, favourites, jennifer-l-armentrout
Read on December 25, 2011

I admit, I was scared before starting this one. I've encountered countless reviews about the similarities between this and Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead. They were both right and wrong. The first half was SO Vampire Academy, minus the vampires and Lissa. It's got more or less the same rules and society as VA. I thought I was reading one of the VA books to be honest. But on second half. Oh boy, did it get better. It gradually differentiates from the said series, and by the end, this promising new series can stand on its own.

All the characters were fully developed and fleshed out. It's visible that the author carefully thought out each and every character. Alex is so funny, has a great sense of humor and she makes a very enjoyable narrator. AND CAN I JUST SAY HOW MUCH I LOVE HER BESTFRIEND,CALEB? He rocks. I love that he and Alex are JUST friends, and he's not gay or anything, they just treat each other as brother and sister.

And Aiden. Gosh, he is HOT. Is it a coincidence that he controls the element fire? I think not, haha. You can see that there will be a love triangle in the sequel, whereas it's not too in-your-face in this book, I think in the sequel fans would really pick their teams, Aiden or Seth.

This is my second time reading a novel by Jennifer Armentrout. God. She is talented. I envy her. Even though I preferred Obsidian (hey who can blame me? I can't seem to get enough of Daemon) to Half-Blood, I very much enjoyed reading this aswell and will definitely be reading the sequel,Pure,which comes out in April.

To be honest, if I haven't read VA series first, then I think I would have enjoyed and appreciate this a LOT more.

Fans of Vampire Academy will either love this or hate this, but if you enjoy an action-packed with heavy romance story plus a kick-ass heroine and forbidden love, then I would recommend Half-Blood.

My blog: http://jana-thebookgoddess.blogspot.com/
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Half-Blood.

12/25/2011 page 12
show 3 hidden updates…

Olivia I'm glad to hear you liked it! I've been meaning to read this because I loved Obsidian but I didn't want to be disappointed.

Jana OMG Olivia please read this right now!! :D