Zeek's Reviews > What a Dragon Should Know

What a Dragon Should Know by G.A. Aiken

Aug 13, 12

bookshelves: favorite-author, pnr, angels-gods-demons, romance, shifters, chick-fantasy
Read from August 04 to 13, 2012

In Dagmar Reinholdt’s world of Northlanders- you have to be strong to survive. As a small woman in a family of burtish men, she developed her strengths of cunning and trickery to get ahead. Now a rather devious politician, she uses words to defeat her foes- along with her clever mind. When a golden dragon of the Southland appears at her castle, everyone else is ready to war- and although she wasn’t expecting this particular dragon shifter, she’s perpared to do the opposite and make an alliance.

Gwenvael, middle child and golden boy- literally- of the Southland dragons, wasn’t prepared to meet a tiny woman when he answered the summons for his fierce warlord sister-in-law, but something about the keen intellect he sees behind her eyes stirs his blood. He may be considered a lazy, lay-about, male-ho by his over-the-top family of warriors, but he’s determined to find out what these Northlanders know about his sister-in-law’s pregnancy- and why it’s not going well- because they do know something. So, he decides to haunt her castle for a day or two and find out what makes her tick. If he talks her into his bed? All the better.

Like a spark to dry tinder these two light up when together- but Dagmar’s determined to keep all the fire hidden and Gwenvael’s equally sure he needs to draw it out. He talks her into accompanying him to his home in the Southlands and good thing he does because when the final battle comes down for the lives of the twins about to join his family, they will need Dagmar’s skills of politicking- with gods no less- to make it out alive.

Dagmar and Gwenvael, seem an unlikely match at first blush- her so serious, him so not. But she needs him to ground her(and lighten her up!) and that’s good enough for me. I love that they find each other and are secure enough in their love to see beyond their differences- more than that, to appreciate each other for them. Much of this story is tied up with securing the Southland Dragons’ rulling stronghold from invaders- and the safety of Gwenvael’s oldest brother’s family. (I was bawling my eyes out at the end and also crossing my fingers Aiken wouldn’t really do that to her readers. Shhh, no spoilers). I loved how Dagmar had such a huge part of it all.

As I’ve stated in my previous reviews for this series, The Dragon Kin sorta drags for me for some reason, but I always end up liking it. (By far my favorite series by this author is her Pride Series.)

This entry, however, was a goodie.
4 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read What a Dragon Should Know.

08/04/2012 page 33
7.0% "oooohooo laughing at a woman of keen mind and intellect? You're goose is cooked now, Gwennie." 2 comments
show 2 hidden updates…

SheLove2Read fun series!

Zeek I'm about halfway through- really liking it, but these books take longer for me to get through for some reason, unlike her Pride series. But then, the Dragons are a bit more detailed in the politickin and all. :P

Samantha I loved this one! Probably my favorite out of her Dragon Kin series. And I agree, for some reason these books drag for me too. I think its when she starts getting a little too all over the place with the plot in trying to continue or expand certain points for different books in the series. I always want her to just stay with the main couple of the story and stop jumping all over the place. The only time that I don't mind it is when it centers on Izzy and Eibhear

Zeek Agreed.

Lady Jaye I live Annwyl's storyline, buy then I love anything Annwyl.

Zeek I did like that this one involved she and Feargus a great deal. Her storyline in this one made the book fantastic!

SheLove2Read Annwyl! Annwyl! Annwyl!