Leila's Reviews > Crush

Crush by Richard Siken

Apr 21, 2011

bookshelves: lgbt, play-poetry, absolute-favourite, favorites, lovestory, north-america, read-in-english, thought-provoking, unique-writingstyle, read-in-2011
Recommended for: Everyone
Read in November, 2011 , read count: 2

I wish I could give this collection of poetry the review that it deserves but truthfully, I find myself unable to write about it adequately enough. The book is so good. It's not often I read poetry and it is even less so that I find myself drawn into it. With this, each poem drew me in. Each line felt like a story of its own and more often than not, I found myself reading a poem further in and reminisicing a poem that I had read earlier in the collection and wondering how connected they were. I love the style of writing; it is powerful, emotional and chilling. His words are filled with details and anyone who knows me well, know that I absolutely love that.

I would write more but I'm just going to leave this review now with my favourite parts (as well as one complete but short poem):

Opening poem:

"Tell me about the dream where we pull the bodies out of the lake
and dress them in warm clothes again.
How it was late, and no one could sleep, the horses running
until they forget that they are horses.
It's not like a tree where the roots have to end somewhere,
it's more like a song on a policeman's radio,
how we rolled up the carpet so we could dance, and the days
were bright red, and every time we kissed there was another apple
to slice into pieces.
Look at the light through the windowpane. That means it's noon, that means
we're inconsolable.
Tell me how all this, and love too, will ruin us.
These, our bodies, possessed by light.
Tell me we'll never get used to it.”
---- Scheherazade

Memorable quotes

"We made a graveyard// out of the bone white afternoon."

"When we were little we made houses out of // cardboard boxes. We can do anything. It's not because // our hearts are large, they're not, it's what we // struggle with. The attempt to say Come over. Bring // your friends. It's a potluck, I'm making pork chops, I'm making // those long noodles you love so much."

"Can you see the plot like dotted lines across the room?"

"I'm battling monsters, I'm pulling you out of the burning buildings // and you say I'll give you anything but you never come through."

"A man takes his sadness down to the river and throws it in the river // but then he's still left // with the river. A man takes his sadness and throws it away // but then he's still left with his hands."

"Is that too much to expect? That I would name the stars // for you? That I would take you there? The splash // of my tongue melting you like a sugar cube?"

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Crush.

Quotes Leila Liked

Richard Siken
“Tell me how all this, and love too, will ruin us.
These, our bodies, possessed by light.
Tell me we'll never get used to it.”

Richard Siken
“We can do anything. It’s not because
our hearts are large, they’re not, it’s what we
struggle with. The attempt to say Come over. Bring
your friends. It’s a potluck, I’m making pork chops, I’m making
those long noodles you love so much.”

Richard Siken
“Tell me about the dream where we pull the bodies out of the lake
                                                                                and dress them in warm clothes again.
          How it was late, and no one could sleep, the horses running
until they forget that they are horses.
                    It’s not like a tree where the roots have to end somewhere,
          it’s more like a song on a policeman’s radio,
                              how we rolled up the carpet so we could dance, and the days
were bright red, and every time we kissed there was another apple
                                                                                                                        to slice into pieces.
Look at the light through the windowpane. That means it’s noon, that means
          we're inconsolable.
                                                            Tell me how all this, and love too, will ruin us.
These, our bodies, possessed by light.
                                                                                          Tell me we’ll never get used to it.”

09/17/2011 page 1
1.0% "Sooooo excited!"
09/17/2011 page 3
4.0% ""Tell me how all this, and love to, will ruin us. These, our bodies, possessed by light. Tell me we'll never get used to it.""
09/17/2011 page 4
5.0% ""There's a part in the movie where you can see right through the acting, where you can tell that I'm about to burst into tears, right before I burst into tears and flee to the slimy moonlit riverbed canopied with devastated clouds""
09/19/2011 page 6
8.0% ""You could drown in those eyes, I said, // so it's summer, so it's suicide, // so we're helpless in sleep and struggling at the bottom of the pool.""
09/19/2011 page 8
10.0% ""A stone on the path means the tea's not ready, // a stone in the hand means somebody's angry, the stone inside you still hasn't hit bottom.""
09/19/2011 page 10
13.0% ""There is no way to make this story interesting. // A pause, a road, the taste of gravel in the mouth.""
09/19/2011 page 18
23.0% ""Here is the repeated image of the lover destroyed. // Crossed out.""
10/06/2011 page 19
24.0% ""The dawn was breaking the bones of your heart like twigs.""
10/06/2011 page 21
26.0% ""A man takes his sadness down to the river and throws it in the river // but then he's still left // with the river.""
10/06/2011 page 23
29.0% ""The green-eyed boy in the powder-blue t-shirt standing // next to you in the supermarket recoils as if hit, // repeatedly, by a lot of men, as if he has a history of it.""
10/06/2011 page 27
34.0% ""At first there were too many branches //so he cut them and then it was winter.// He meaning you. Yes. He would look out // the window and stare at the trees that once had too many branches and now seemed // to have too few. Is that all?""
10/06/2011 page 30
38.0% ""These are the dreams we should be having. I shouldn't have to // clean them up like this.""
10/06/2011 page 32
40.0% ""You are a fever I am learning to live with, and everything is happening // at the wrong end of a very long tunnel.""
10/18/2011 page 36
45.0% ""Here is a map with your name for a capital,// here is an arrow to prove a point: we laugh// and it pits the world against us, we laugh// and we've got nothing to lose, and our hearts// turn red, and the river rises like a barn on fire.""
10/18/2011 page 39
49.0% ""Imagine: // Someone's pulling a gun, and you're jumping into the middle of it.// You didn't think you'd feel this way.""
10/18/2011 page 41
51.0% ""We made a graveyard// out of the bone white afternoon." Might just be one of my favourite lines from this amazing poetry collection."
10/18/2011 page 43
54.0% ""They are hurling their bodies down the freeway// to the smell of gasoline,// which is the sound of a voice saying I told you so.""
11/26/2011 page 45
56.0% ""He could build a city. Has a certain capacity. There's a niche in his chest// where a heart would fit perfectly // and he thinks if he could maneuver one into place -- // well then, game over.""
11/26/2011 page 58
73.0% ""Can you see the plot like dotted lines across the room?""
11/26/2011 page 72
90.0% ""You're in a car with a beautiful boy, //and you're trying not to tell him that you love him, and you’re trying to // choke down the feeling, and you’re trembling, but he reaches over and // he touches you, like a prayer for which no words exist, and you feel your // heart taking root in your body, like you've discovered something you // didn't even have a name for.""
11/26/2011 page 80
100.0% ""When we were little we made houses out of // cardboard boxes. We can do anything. It's not because // our hearts are large, they're not, it's what we // struggle with.""
08/03/2016 marked as: read