Jihad's Reviews > Foundation

Foundation by Isaac Asimov

Apr 21, 2011

bookshelves: 52-books, scifi
Read in April, 2011

I have been waiting to read Foundation for a long time. Before it I've only read a number of short stories by Asimov.

I'd say I'm fairly new to scifi. I've been reading it for only about 3 years, and I'm still catching up with the classics. What gripped me the most so far are large stories with massive universes (a la Dune and Hyperion). I wasn't lucky to find much of those recently, so boy did I start reading Foundation in the right time.

It's a lot shorter than I thought it would be (the audio version runs only about 9 hours), but boy is it interesting. With most books, I have to force myself through at least a third of the book, and that's where they usually start getting interesting. Foundation didn't have that at all. I don't know if it's Asimov's style of storytelling, or the world he carefully created, but it's all just pleasant and interesting. So that kind of makes up for its short length -- it gets interesting a lot quicker than most books.

I won't discuss the plot. I went in not knowing anything about it, so I will allow the reader to have the same chance.

What really excites me now is that Foundation can serve as only an introduction to a universe built by Asimov and explored in a number of other books. I'm continuing with the next book in the trilogy now.

I used to recommend Dune to people as a gateway into scifi. That's changed now. Foundation serves the purpose a lot better.

I listened to the audiobook narrated by Scott Brick. He is just brilliant.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Foundation.

Comments (showing 1-4)

dateUp arrow    newest »

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

I have been looking everywhere for this book,now after reading your review,I really need to find it and read it!

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Try Brin's uplift series. It's much better IMO.

Jihad Aalia, It's a classic, obviously. Consider the audiobook if you can't the paper one. The narrator adds a bit to the work.

Chris, I'll check that out. Thanks.

John Ess Welcome to the wonderful world of science fiction. Asimov is a very good writer who knew science