Taylor Moore's Reviews > 1984

1984 by George Orwell

May 17, 11

Read from April 20 to May 16, 2011

At first, I thought I was really going to love 1984. I heard it compared so many times to Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (which I completely fell in love with) that it seems if you read one you sort of HAVE to read the other. George Orwell I like as a writer too, I've done papers on him. When I began to read the story of 1984, I loved reading the parts explaining different aspects of the world. It totally seemed like a communist world that was slightly married with the world of Aeonflux (well, the random disappearances part). Even the talk on how Newspeak would eventually hamper people's actions was interesting to read. But after the climax of the book, it started to get a bit disappointing. In fact, when I first finished the book I was so shocked about the ending that I found it to be immensely disappointing. But giving it more thought, I couldn't have thought of a better ending. The ending leaves the reader with a powerful thought and makes it almost impossible to think of a different ending Orwell could've chosen it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 1984.

04/20/2011 page 48
16.0% "So I've started reading this because I heard it gets compared a lot to "Brave New World" (Which I just finished). So far it doesn't seem too bad, but I'm noticing similar things, such as higher people that control the world and the unique words in the book, like "thoughtcrime". I'm liking it though, so I'm going to continue reading it."
04/28/2011 page 69
18.0% "Just got past Wilson's diary entry detailing some bits about the girl and the wife, which is kind of interesting because it's a complete 180 of BNW. Also, Syme's discussion over words has so far been one of the most interesting parts of the book so far (though the book is vague about the world Wilson lives in)"
05/05/2011 page 185
47.0% "Just went through a four hour reading binge and have gotten halfway through the novel. I'm loving it, except now that I have to essentially read a book within a book. To be honest, I'm not terribly excited about this at all..."