Sheba's Reviews > Disobedience

Disobedience by Jane Hamilton

Apr 20, 11

This book just made so much sense. How Miss Jane Hamilton wrote a boy, and not just any boy but a lovely, funny, bare, boy, is inconceivable to me.

It's a love story between a son and his mother. It's a storing of weaning, a boy who becomes a man through vigilance over his mother's personal correspondence with her lover. Watching her fall in love, betray her husband and her family allows him to fall out of love with the woman who raised him and judge and differentiate from the woman she is. An awkward, gorgeous, confused woman. A very human woman. He grows to hate her, but with a sort of kindness, because afterall, it's a fine line and this is a weaning, not a matricide.

And I am making it sound tragic, and ponderous and incestuous; but that's not it.

I have had three boyfriends who loved their mothers more than they would ever love me. And when you are tabled from the start, it's never really a competition, sex is twisted and deep but their eyes are veiled. They value virginity but treat you like a whore. All their shirts smell of guilt. They are the worst kind of men. Except for the kind that don't love their mothers at all. Those, I run fast from.

So I loved loved this boy. Weaning is hard and he was so brave. He gently, carefully as he put it, "put her over his knee and cracked her in two; " but with the deepest and most profound love. I would have been curious to meet him as an adult and his sister too.

Devastating climax and all that but the best thing about this book was it made me laugh out loud and without warning.

2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Disobedience.