Annabelle Marie Veronica's Reviews > Abandon

Abandon by Meg Cabot

Sep 20, 11

bookshelves: books-that-made-me-cry, favorites, gorgeous-cover, i-love-a-guy-in-this-book, i-own, fantasy, paranormal, romance
Read from June 21 to 22, 2011 — I own a copy

FINAL RATING: 3.25 STARS

Abandon was breathtaking and beautiful I was caught up in Pierce's life until I was unable to recognize hers from my own. I was pulled in and I couldn't let go without knowing what happened next. I felt everything that Pierce felt; I became her in more ways than one.

The plot was edgy, mythological and terribly modern. It was unique and original. Everything about it kept me on my toes as I read the book; there was not a single moment where I felt like putting the book down. In fact, I hardly put the book down at all, it was so good.

Cabot took on an unusual writing style with Abandon, but it worked wonders and I understand perfectly why she chose it. True, it could be a bit confusing at times, but the end result was so lovely that every moment spent agonizing suddenly became worth it. Told in present tense as well as a series of flashbacks, every word is a treasure. (Cliché, I know.)

Now to the heroine, Pierce. She was strong but had weaknesses and flaws. She could be dense and sometimes downright aggravating, but she always seemed to come around. She made decisions and generally stayed with them; she was stubborn but not overly so. She knows what she wants and works to get there, doing things for other people whenever she can, trying to help them in any small way.

Mmm, onto John. John was the sexy, dark Hades figure in this novel. He's beautiful and distant, but he evolves throughout the novel, which kept me constantly intrigued. Every moment he appeared was exciting; I enjoyed reading about him immensely.

The setting was realistic and is indeed based on a real place, as Cabot says in the Acknowledgements. Every detail is perfect, from the high school's somewhat morbid tradition to to people who live on the island. Everything is typical yet not stereotypical; there is a fine line there that is not crossed.

This is by far the best book I've ever read by Cabot; I'll be looking forward to more of the same.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Abandon.

Quotes Annabelle Marie Veronica Liked

Meg Cabot
“It’s one thing to protect yourself,” Dad yelled at me during our very next lunch. “That I get. Have I ever told you not to defend yourself? No. But did you have to permanently maim him? I spent all that money on that on that fancy school for girls-not to mention all that money for the shrinks-and what did that get me?”
I shrugged. “A seven-figure civil suit?”
Meg Cabot, Abandon

Meg Cabot
“No Hello.
No Hi, Pierce. Nice right hook you have there.
No It's lovely to see you. Sorry about your counselor being killed last night. Yes, I see your grandmother is a Fury even though I told you none was after you. I guess I was wrong about that.
Just Let's go.