Morgan's Reviews > Holidays Are Hell

Holidays Are Hell by Kim Harrison

May 03, 11

liked it
Read from April 20 to May 02, 2011

Holiday Are Hell was not what I was expecting. Instead of all Christmas stories, each novella revolved around a different holiday. In addition, it wasn't the holiday that was the focus or center of each story, but they were simply a common thread to loosely link the novellas. I loved the story by Kim Harrison, but of course I am a bit biased because I love her Hollows series. In this story set at the Solstice, we get a glimpse into Rachel's family life before the Hollows series begins. It's interesting to see her interactions with her brother and her mother. We are introduced to a different Rachel, younger and still finding herself. Additionally we find out how Rachel meets Pierce.

I was not familiar with any of the other authors in this anthology. I enjoyed Lyndsay Sands story and it's humorous elements. Marjorie Liu's story was very interesting but sort of depressing in its starkness and depiction of the institutionalization of living under a Communist regime. I disliked Vicki Pettersson's story most. I didn't really connect with the character and I'm also not a huge fan of astrology. Overall I liked the anthology, it was fun to read urban fantasy stories from authors I wasn't familiar with; you win some, you lose some, but this book is for the most part a winner.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Holidays Are Hell.