Lydia Presley's Reviews > Demonglass

Demonglass by Rachel Hawkins

Apr 20, 11

bookshelves: 2011, fantasy, fiction, young-adult
Read in April, 2011

I'm in the minority here. I took this book with me on a trip for airplane reading on the way out and was... massively disappointed.

It may just be that my tastes have changed, but I chuckled and enjoyed Hex Hall and just.. found that Demonglass lost its charm.

Demonglass picks up right where Hex Hall left off, Sophie is involved in a forbidden romance with a bad boy for her - something that is becoming all too familiar a plot point for me lately. While the story had its ups and downs, they were more like kiddie-rollercoaster ups and downs and felt forced to me. I did not feel any sort of connection to the characters and found myself disliking Sophie more and more as the story progressed. By the time I reached the "cliffhanger" ending I was done with the book and will not be picking up #3.

I wish this book had the charm and wittiness of Hex Hall, but it didn't and as much as I hate writing negative reviews I really can't find anything positive to write here. I was sitting on an airplane, without any other sort of amusement and found myself putting it down several times to thumb through magazines and read advertisements. That's a deal breaker for me, and so I'll write this series off unfortunately.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Demonglass.