Jeff's Reviews > Switched

Switched by Amanda Hocking

Apr 26, 11

Read from April 20 to 26, 2011

I picked this one up because of all the hype about Amanda Hocking, and how she's blazing the trail for self-publishing. I figured it was worth seeing what all the hoopla was about. At first, I was afraid I was going to be disappointed. "Switched" starts out a bit slow. It is a YA, teen angst-y story about a girl who, on top of having to deal with her very confused feelings about herself and the mysterious "bad boy" kid at school, discovers that her psychotic mother who tried to kill her when she was six, wasn't all that psychotic at all (well, except for the minor issue of trying to kill her). Dear old Mom had claimed for years that Wendy wasn't really her daughter, and that her "real" baby had been a boy. Well, it turns out Mom was right.

Wendy finds out that she is a Trylle - not even human, and things go downhill from there.

As I said before, the story starts pretty slow. In fact, it isn't until almost halfway through the book that the character begins to grow into more than a cardboard cutout of a stereotypical teenage girl, wrapped up in her feelings to the exclusion of common sense. Additionally, there are some pretty blatant typos that pulled me out of the story and had me shaking my head. However, once the story does pick up, it does so quite well, and by the time I reached the end, I was immediately ready to pick up the next in the series (and have already done so, in fact).

While I give this one three stars, I view this book as an introduction to the world that Hocking has created, and have every hope that the next book will launch itself directly into the meat of the story that she so obviously has it in her to tell. I fully anticipate that the next book will keep me engaged as the last third of the first one did, and find myself quite eager to tear into "Torn", the next book in the series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Switched.