Steph Sinclair's Reviews > Eve

Eve by Anna Carey

Jan 21, 12

bookshelves: dystopian, ebook, it-wasn-t-all-that-but-enjoyable, all-the-wrong-choices, what-kind-of-ending-was-that, 2012-reads, quarterly-challenge-4-december-20, could-have-been-better, heroines-i-want-to-shake, poor-world-building, surprised-me, book-packaging
Recommended to Steph by: I did
Recommended for: Not sure, but I enjoyed it
Read from January 12 to 17, 2012, read count: 1

One of the first questions I ask myself when I'm reading a dystopian novel is, "Could I ever live in this world?" I can easily answer no for Eve. I can see this book having two distinctive effects on people: horrifying them and completely turning them off or intriguing them just enough to keep them reading. I'm happy to say I fell in the latter category.

Eve lives in a world that has been devastated by a deadly Plague leaving countless children orphans. As a result, the country is in disorder and the people, desperate for a solution, allowing one man to rule as king, whose ideals for rebuilding, prey on the most innocent members of society. Girls, or sows, are sent to Schools where they are taught men are evil and manipulative only to graduate and be forced to conceive child after child to help populate the world. Boys, on the other hand, are sent to labor camps where they work long hours, their innocence stolen before it even had time to begin. Eve learns these awful truths the day before she is set to graduate and she does what anyone in her situation would do. She runs.

Things I loved

The premise of the book is a disturbing one. Connecting with the minor characters was something I didn't expect would happen. I couldn't help but think of my own children as I read it. To think society would ever slip that far and abuse our children...it bothers me. It bothered me on the same level that the Hunger Games did with children battling it out to the death for adult entertainment. So, for that Eve kept me turning page after page because as a mother my heart broke for the kids in this book. There was one scene in the book were a little boy asks Eve what love is and she tells them:
"Love is just caring for someone very deeply. Feeling like that person matters to you, like your whole world would be sadder without them in it."
That was just very heartbreaking for me. For a 6-year-old not knowing what love is. Like I said, it bothers me. But not in the bad way where I would want to stop reading. Instead, in a way that made me stop and be very thankful for what I have in life.

The writing style was pretty good, in my opinion. I could even pick out a few quotes that I thought were lovely like this one:
The stream was the only hand that touched me, the wind the only breath that blew the dust from my eyes. I learned the strange art of loneliness, the weathered yearning that swells and passes, swells and passes, when you walk a trail alone.
I also really liked the love interest, Caleb. You know how the love interest always pulls the card where his controlling over protectiveness is romanticized as loving concern? I didn't find that here. Caleb was a sweet guy. He took care of Eve and her friend, Arden when they had nowhere to go. I could feel that he really cared for Eve. There is one part of the novel that spoke volumes about his character to me. Eve was staying with Caleb and a group of other "stray" boys and they were just about to go on a raid the guard’s outpost. Caleb doesn't think it's a good idea that she goes:
"What if I still want to go?"
"Then you'll go," he said. "But I wanted you to know the danger."
That quote made me so happy because YES, let's tell the heroine of the danger, but YES, let her decide if she wants to proceed or not.

Things I disliked

I think we all saw this coming from me: The world building. Unfortunately, I had trouble with the believability that America could sink so low as to do away with democracy, liberty, and basic human rights in such a short amount of time. It's only been sixteen years and Americans have reverted to enslaving their children? No, just no. Furthermore, if the goal is to reproduce as fast as humanly possible, why aren't the adults (who live comfortably in the city) charged with having children? Why only the orphan girls? Not only that, but again, and this seems to be something I'm saying a lot lately, but what in the world are the rest of the human population doing?

Besides that sketchy world building, there was one big thing that I really disliked: Eve. Eve had exactly three "modes" in this book: 1)Saw dust for brains 2)Too stupid to live 3)Selfish. She goes through the novel making the worst decisions possible that either ended up getting someone else hurt or killed. I get that she was sheltered all her life and that perception of the real world had been tampered with, but why no common sense? Petting a wild bear is suicide. It does not in any way, shape, or form resemble Winnie the Pooh. It's time for a wild life lesson:

If you saw a grizzly in the woods, would you immediately think of this guy?

Maybe I'm missing something here. Do they look related to you? No? Not even distant cousins, twice removed? Now, I'm no expert, but to me it looks like one of these bears is about to rip a clueless girl a new one, while the other is only a danger to himself of overdosing on jars of honey. How does that saying go again? Oh, yeah. Eve was a few french fries short of a happy meal. At first, I gave her the benefit of the doubt, but she didn't seem to get any smarter as the novel wore on. For example, her relationship with Caleb. You all know how the YA romance goes. You've got to have something that breaks the couple up. Eve gets into an argument with Caleb about wanting to stay with him instead of traveling to Califia (the shelter). He reasonably tells her he would like that, but since the king is after her, she would be safer at the shelter. You know what Eve does? She throws a tantrum and calls him selfish. -_- And that is the scene I lost all my respect for her. It was frustrating! I just wanted her to use her brain just once! That's not really asking too much is it?

Yet, somehow I was able to enjoy this book. Again, mostly thanks to the minor characters and Caleb. The ending leaves us with a cliffhanger you knew was coming. Let's just say it left me angry and leave it at that. Even stranger is that I really do want to check out the sequel. Huh.

More reviews and more at Cuddlebuggery Book Blog.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Eve.

01/12/2012
6.0% "Why do we have to capitalize random words? School. Teacher. It's unnecessary and irritating."
01/14/2012
21.0% ""Well, you'd better be taking me back to where you found me now. My...very large man friend is waiting for me there. He's very scary and...kill-happy," I added, repeating the phrase I'd heard the gang use. LOL! Oh, Eve. Oh, you." 2 comments
01/14/2012
21.0% " I turned away, pretending not to notice the dimple that formed in his right cheek, or the way his eyes shone brightly, like he was lit from within. O.o Oh, boy. I think Eve and I are starting to travel down a dangerous road." 4 comments
01/15/2012
41.0% "Okay, that was a depressing scene with the little boys."
01/16/2012
58.0% "Of course. The lover's spat. Calling him selfish even though he saved your life and has taken care of you all this time. -_-" 1 comment
01/16/2012
60.0% "Wait.one.minute. Since when does sitting next to someone and talking with them suddenly equal "she's got the hots for me?" Eve you are becoming TSTL." 3 comments
01/16/2012
64.0% "That was really low. Smh."
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sandy (new) - added it

Sandy Stephanie, do you anticipate liking this, or are you going for more torture?

Steph Sinclair I was hoping to like it. The blurb makes it sound so interesting.

Experiment BL626 I'm a little iffy about this part of the blurb: "Separated from men her whole life, Eve has been taught to fear them"

Reynje I can't wait to hear what you think of this! Good luck :)

message 5: by Sandy (new) - added it

Sandy Yes, the blurb does sound good. I became a little iffy when they said it was The Hunger Games meets Twilight. We'll see! Looking forward to your review!

Steph Sinclair The Hunger Games meets Twilight?! I do not predict a good outcome.

Lani I'm definitely interested in seeing if you like this book or not. I couldn't put it down, but I ended up thinking it was only ok which doesn't usually happen with books I speed through.

Steph Sinclair It is a very quick read so far. The pacing feels a little rushed to me.

Redazrael Wait until you get to one scene she has with another boy, and what happens after. Three words: "I don't know."

I regretted that I was reading the e-book because I couldn't throw it across the room. Well, technically I could have, but I love my laptop a little too much for that kind of abuse.

Steph Sinclair Redazrael wrote: "Wait until you get to one scene she has with another boy, and what happens after. Three words: "I don't know."

Oh, dear. That doesn't sound too good. D:

Redazrael Stephanie wrote: Oh, dear. That doesn't sound too good.

It's really not. D: I'm so sorry. Maybe... maybe you'll like it more than I did? :D? There's always room for hope!

Steph Sinclair Awww, I hope so!

Rogier hope u like it!! pls!! if not no biggie
ppl diffr

Steph Sinclair Rogier wrote: "hope u like it!! pls!! if not no biggie
ppl diffr"

Hehehe! I'm so picky, right? Lol. It is enjoyable so far. Fingers crossed. :)

Steph Sinclair Not too bad. I kinda liked it despite the flaws.

Redazrael I'm glad you liked it. :3 Personally, I think it would have been much, much better if Eve had been eaten by the bear early on and Arden had become the main character. BUT THAT'S JUST ME.

Steph Sinclair Redazrael wrote: "I'm glad you liked it. :3 Personally, I think it would have been much, much better if Eve had been eaten by the bear early on and Arden had become the main character. BUT THAT'S JUST ME."

THAT I can totally agree on. LOL. I did like Arden MUCH, MUCH better than Eve.

Rogier Stephanie wrote: "Redazrael wrote: "I'm glad you liked it. :3 Personally, I think it would have been much, much better if Eve had been eaten by the bear early on and Arden had become the main character. BUT THAT'S J..."
lol

sunset shimmer Hmm. I've read the review but I'm still skeptical about reading this. >_< Would you recommend this to anyone?

Steph Sinclair fαuzαn | wιld нearт ♥ wrote: "Hmm. I've read the review but I'm still skeptical about reading this. >_< Would you recommend this to anyone?"

This one is tough to recommend. I think the reason why I enjoyed it so much is the motherly emotional response I felt for the children in the book. So far a lot of my other GRs friends have rated it pretty low, like one or two stars. I do think the writing is good, but it features a subject that might turn others completely off.

sunset shimmer Ah, I see. Well, I've read through many reviews of this and if anything my skepticism just increases. ._. But since I spent money on it already, I definitely will read it eventually. I'm just not sure when, since there's always other books that capture my attention.

message 22: by Redazrael (last edited Jan 21, 2012 11:37AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Redazrael It's not the subject that turns me off, honestly. My main complaint about Eve?

Eve herself.

She just kept being an idiot, making one stupid decision after another. You could argue that she's just naive, but what did Arden know of life outside before she left the school? Eve goes beyond naive and straight into stupid. She has no common sense.

And you know what? I could forgive that. What I can't forgive is (view spoiler)

Edit: Ahaha, I just read your review. I agree with everything you've said, although the scenes with the kids irritated me in the sense that, sure, read the kids books, that's great! Really, that is wonderful. However, do other things as well, Eve. Learn to survive, how to hunt, how to cook, that kind of thing. Be self-sufficient! Or at least not utterly useless.

Steph Sinclair Redazrael wrote: "It's not the subject that turns me off, honestly. My main complaint about Eve?

Eve herself.

I completely agree with everything you said. Eve was an idiot which is why this book is home to my "Idiot Heroine" shelf right next to Bella Swan's story.

And the radio scene: (view spoiler)

I really want to read the second one to find out why the King wants her specifically. Oh, and the boys were doing other things. They all become hunters and learn to survive by the age of 15 (I believe).

Steph Sinclair fαuzαn | wιld нearт ♥ wrote: "Ah, I see. Well, I've read through many reviews of this and if anything my skepticism just increases. ._. But since I spent money on it already, I definitely will read it eventually. I'm just not s..."

Yeah, no rush with this one. It's not going to change you life or anything, but I'll be interested to see your thoughts on it whenever you get around to it.

Redazrael Stephanie wrote: "Oh, and the boys were doing other things. They all become hunters and learn to survive by the age of 15 (I believe)."

No, I meant that Eve should have been learning to do that stuff. =) She'd spent so long being utterly useless and whining about it, you'd think she'd have taken the opportunity to learn some basic survival skills from the only people around who aren't trying to kidnap her.

Oh, right. Idiot Heroine. :/

Steph Sinclair Oh! Then, yes. I totally agree again. She didn't learn anything. I kept wondering why Caleb took her hunting and on the raid. She was useless.

Redazrael Stephanie wrote: "Oh! Then, yes. I totally agree again. She didn't learn anything. I kept wondering why Caleb took her hunting and on the raid. She was useless."

Yeah, I have no idea. The only thing I can figure is that Eve's stupidity is so powerful that it actually makes other people less intelligent just by being near her.

Nafiza Yeah, the ending pissed me off so much. Argh. Arghhhh.

Steph Sinclair Nafiza wrote: "Yeah, the ending pissed me off so much. Argh. Arghhhh."

I know, right?! What a rip-off!

Redazrael wrote: "Stephanie wrote: "Oh! Then, yes. I totally agree again. She didn't learn anything. I kept wondering why Caleb took her hunting and on the raid. She was useless."

Yeah, I have no idea. The only thi..."

Yeah, that's probably it. Lol.

Nafiza Her lack of conscience when she gets those people killed sealed the deal for me. Because honestly? seriously? I just sat there staring at my kindle with this "wtf" look on my face for a good long while.

Steph Sinclair Ebony wrote: "Lauren Kate says this book is 'A gripping, unforgettable adventure - and a fresh look at what it means to love'

Was she operating on some kind of opposite day principal? Because im pretty sure thi..."

Ebony, I think I love you. XD

Skyla I am re-reading this right now and got to the bit about the bear and was like "I know that she is stupid but she did have a sheltered upbringing...wanna know what is more stupid the people who grow up in the areas with bears and still do stupid shit like this."

Steph Sinclair I know! I worry for humanity.

message 34: by Sara (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sara Blomquist This review is hilarious (I love the wildlife lesson!) and honest. I rated 'Eve' 3 stars as well. :)