Stephanie's Reviews > Mila 18

Mila 18 by Leon Uris

Apr 20, 11

bookshelves: fiction

I was given this book to pass on to Krisette, but I decided to read it before passing it on (do you still need it Krisette?). What an amazing story! The holocaust is a time full of amazing stories of human triumph in spite of unimaginable horror. This book is no exception. The characters are full of life and flaws and draw you into their lives. Knowing what could happen to them made for really difficult reading at times. I especially love the characters flaws. The things they struggle with as people; things to overcome, to accept, and to fight against. Andrei Androfski was my favorite and I told Mary (whose book I hi-jacked) I was afraid he would suddenly die after each turn of the page. She reassured me he would make it to the end...but not that he would live.

I am grateful to writers like Leon Uris who write so wonderfully about things that are so devastatingly awful. I will warn you that I had to stop reading and take a break several times due to the overwhelming sadness I felt for these characters and for those lives they represent.

***a note regarding content: there is much taking the Lord's name in vain and some adultry.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mila 18.

Comments (showing 1-4)

dateUp arrow    newest »

message 4: by Krisette (new)

Krisette Spangler No, I got the library to order it for me.

Stephanie Sorry that I am such a huge brat and stole the book intended for you:) But it is really good!

message 2: by Krisette (new)

Krisette Spangler How can you even live with yourself?

Mary All's fair in love and...reading?