Laura's Reviews > Listening Is an Act of Love: A Celebration of American Life from the StoryCorps Project

Listening Is an Act of Love by Dave Isay

Aug 02, 08

bookshelves: favorites
Recommended to Laura by: NPR, StoryCorps
Recommended for: everyone
Read in July, 2008

Actually, I'm listening to this via audiobook. I wanted to hear the people's voices tell their own stories.
***

I finally sat down and listened to the entire CD. I am in awe of these stories, of the people who lived them, and who were brave enough to tell them on tape and submit them to the Library of Congress.

The story that affected me most was from a Brooklyn man talking about his fiance who died in the World Trade Center towers on September 11th. You can hear the love in his voice for her and the rage and sorrow at her being taken away from him. But it was his final thoughts, that he would see her again because he would be good enough down here so that he would make it to Heaven to be with her, that brought me to tears. I'm crying again just writing about him.

I am a general misanthrope, jaded, angry, tired, and I feel hopeless for our world a lot of the time. But these stories crack this shell in me, making me believe not all is lost. There are good people out there, who have borne greater struggles than I can even imagine, and they go on, with heads up high and hearts full with hope. I want to be like them so much. The stories in this book and the recurring ones I hear on the StoryCorps podcast on NPR make me glad to be here and living in this time, in a world with the people who have lives and stories like these.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Listening Is an Act of Love.