Sheryl's Reviews > The Crush

Apr 27, 11

bookshelves: audio-book, romantic-supsense
Read from April 20 to 26, 2011

3-1/2 Stars

I listened to the unabridged audiobook narrated by Tom Wopat. Yes, that Tom Wopat...from "The Dukes of Hazzard". Kind of a surprising choice of reader for what is essentially a romantic suspense/thriller, but let me say, he does a very good job. His female voices could have been better, but I think that is probably true of most male readers. I don't mind so much when the female characters in the book don't say a ton, but in this book Rennie has a significant amount of lines and his voice did tend to make her sound somewhat masculine. However, despite that, he did a great job. His voices for the male characters were great-- especially for leading man Wick and the villain, Lozada.

This book is an exciting and very creepy thriller but the romance between the two main characters, Rennie and Wick, is a little lackluster. I just didn't feel much of a connection between the two. Wick pretty much became obsessed with Rennie while he had her under surveillance (or at least "obsessed" is how it felt to me). His intense feelings for her (before ever meeting her) seemed a bit creepy to me, though definitely not to the same extent as the book's villain, Lozada. Lozada is one of the creepiest, scariest villains I have read in a long time, however, that may be in part to Tom Wopat's narration. When he read the scenes with Lozada, I got goosebumps and could practically feel the slime on my skin. He made the character come alive more so than any other character in the book. It got to the point where I couldn't listen to it at night in the dark as it would give me the shivers.

All in all this was an enjoyable read. It moved quickly and kept me reading/listening. It also made me jump a few times, which is a good thing in a thriller, but it wasn't so scary that I couldn't sleep at night (which is another good thing, since I don't like scary). If the relationship between Wick and Rennie had been more believable, this would certainly have been a top read.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Crush.

04/20/2011 "Listening to audiobook. So far, so good."
04/22/2011 "3 discs down, 7 more to go. Man is this a creepy book!"
04/23/2011 "4 discs down, 6 more to go"
04/23/2011 "on disc 6 of 10"
04/24/2011 "on disc 8 of 10. This book is very exciting and definitely creepy."