Kathy Davie's Reviews > Where Angels Fear to Tread

Apr 20, 11

bookshelves: fantasy
Read in April, 2011

The Chronology of the Series
Technically, Where Angels Fear to Tread is third in the Remy Chandler urban fantasy series. Chronologically, it's fourth.

The Story
Deryn York's daughter has been kidnapped by her father and Deryn wants Remy's help getting her back. Although separated, the couple brought their daughter, Zoe, to Boston in hopes of getting treatment for her autism. But Carl took her believing that he and Zoe are being punished for his and Deryn's betrayal of their god. He intends to do penance for that betrayal with Zoe. But another is after the girl. A timeless woman who will stop at nothing, will kill anyone to take Zoe and what she holds within her body.

In his search for Zoe, Remy takes us to some interesting bars with even more interesting characters before he prepares to do battle after battle.

My Take
Sneigoski teases us with Delilah's actions and the veiled references as to her purpose in hunting down Zoe are maddening. As for Remy, it's heartening to read of his becoming more reconciled to Madeline's death (A Kiss Before the Apocalypse). Of course, part of that is due to his growing interest in Linda Somerset, the waitress at the Piazza in whom Francis was so interested. Mulvehill is the only everyday friend left to Remy after Francis' demise? disappearance? in Dancing on the Head of a Pin and he is trying to persuade Remy to see her in hopes of encouraging him to retain his humanity.

Part of my interest in this series is how God is portrayed. It's so very different from the norm and seems more realistic. Fascinating.

The Cover
I like the cover. It's an obscure scene from the book: Remy in his long coat with Marlowe at his head, electricity sparking around his hand clutching his sword as he faces off against an armor-clad Retriever of the Lord.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Where Angels Fear to Tread.