Lisa Kay's Reviews > Not For Sale

Not For Sale by Sandra Marton

Cassiopeia

★★★★ ½ ! Up from the Brazilian slums, billionaire Lucas Vieira not only needs a translator, but someone to keep a businessman’s wife at a distance; translator, Caroline Hamilton, fits both roles perfectly. Only, due to a set-up by one of his slimy mangers, and a switch at the last minute by two graduate students (with completely different motives), Lucas thinks our heroine’s name is Dani Sinclair. Then later, more than just mildly disgruntled, Lucas comes to the conclusion she’s a call girl. Perfectly reasonable, all things considered (IMHO).

The first part of this book had me giggling with glee at the back of my throat; I do that when the dialogue if fresh, the set-up is delicious, and the actions of the heroine unexpected. I love that the talented Ms. Marton can make me smile over minor characters, such as Lucas’s hapless temporary personal assistant (who keeps reminding him of her name and makes "oily" coffee), or his poker-faced housekeeper. As far as the H/h, there are several attempts by one or the other to clear things up or come to some sort of “closure”. In addition, they both have “mommy issues” – he doesn’t want someone like his, who abandoned him to the hard streets of Rio, and she doesn’t want to end up like hers, hopelessly waiting in vain for Prince Charming.

Photobucket
Add in an attempted robbery, a stray cat, and argument over whether or not a constellation was Cassiopeia, two people who are meant to be together trying to sort out their feelings, an indecent proposal followed by declarations of hate and an abrupt departure, and there you have it... Oh, and Oliver, “The Cat from Hell”, did I mention him?
“Bite me,” he said, “and you’ll never see a bowl of Daintee Deelites again.”

The cat made a small, questioning sound. Carefully, in what looked like slow motion, it leaned forward and pressed its battered head, face first, into Lucas’s palm.

This was not fair.

Lucas was not a cat person.

The cat was not a Lucas-person.

Over the last week, they’d developed a gentleman’s understanding. Lucas had tolerated the cat’s presence. The cat had tolerated his. Caroline had been their go-between and yes, she was gone but the cat still had food, water and shelter.

What more could a street cat possibly want?
There were a few small missteps, not so much in what happens as in the shift in tone or pacing; but still, this one really worked for me. Mostly because I loved Lucas, who doesn’t understand his developing feelings for a prostitute, and Caroline, who doesn’t know what he wants from her. You know that feeling when tears built up behind your eyes, but you don’t quite let them loose? But, then you keep reading… Yeah, this one is like that! **sniffle** I was more than delighted to see these two (three?) have their sweet HEA.
20 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Not For Sale.

06/13/2011 page 40
21.0% "Just started this and loving it!"

willaful Sounds good! I love S.M. Heh.

Lisa Kay Thanks, willaful! It was good. :)

message 3: by Dina (new)

Dina Kudos to SM for giving the hero a correct Brazilian name, but the guy on the cover did not grow up in the Brazilian slums. No way! LOL

Lisa Kay LOL! I don't think SM had control over that. However, what about my picture of the cat, Dina?

message 5: by Dina (new)

Dina Oh yeah, that cat has the street smarts. ;)

Lisa Kay LOL! Glad you approve. :)

Delaney Diamond This one was so good!

Lisa Kay I liked it, Delaney. I have it tagged as my fav HP this year.

KatLynne Loved your review Lisa Kay and your cat!:-)

Lisa Kay LOL! Thanks, KatLynne!