Rebecca's Reviews > Lizzie Bright and the Buckminster Boy

Lizzie Bright and the Buckminster Boy by Gary D. Schmidt

Jun 09, 11

bookshelves: young-adult-lit
Read from April 20 to June 09, 2011

Well this book was just beautiful. It is about a boy named Turner Buckminster that meets a girl named Lizzy Bright. The two of them become very good friends, but the town is not very happy about it. You see Lizzy is a black girl, and at the time it was frowned upon to mingle with the other races. But through out this book Turner goes beyond himself to help Lizzy. The town wants to burn down shacks that on her home Island.

It really is a beautiful moving book. Laugh out Loud funny at times...and sometimes it brings you near to tears. ( I warned you.) Also I thing that you should look for in this book is how the sea breeze plays a part in the book. Just pay attention to how it effects the characters, and then decide for yourself what you think it means. Then look up what it means to Gary Schmidt. It won't be a waste of your time, I guarantee!

By the way this book was actually based on REAL events. That fact alone makes it 10 times powerful!

Read this book, I do not have any warnings except for it is a sad book at times.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lizzie Bright and the Buckminster Boy.