Andrea's Reviews > Viola in Reel Life

Viola in Reel Life by Adriana Trigiani

Apr 26, 11

bookshelves: 2011
Read from April 20 to 22, 2011

Several members of the local Friends of the Library group were excited to see that I had checked out Viola in Reel Life by Adriana Trigiani. Adriana did a book signing in Richmond, and everyone just loved her. With raves about her writing and her personality, I was excited to start reading!

Viola Chesterton is an aspiring filmmaker from New York. She lives, breathes, and loves her Brooklyn neighborhood.

She's also a teenager, which means she has to attend high school. Much to her dismay, her parents have decided to send her to Prefect Academy, an all-girls school in South Bend, Indiana. She has to spend her entire freshman year there, which is the worst kind of torture. She's an only child who now has to share living space with three other girls. And worse, she doesn't know how she's going to survive the year without her best friend Andrew.

Having already decided that she hates Prefect Academy and that she'll never be happy there, she hides behind her video camera, documenting her life in Indiana. But, despite her best efforts, she makes friends, meets a boy who is a fellow filmmaker, and actually starts to enjoy herself.

I liked Viola. She was smart, driven and a loyal friend with a positive attitude and a whimsical sense of humor. Watching her let down her guard, make new friends, and thrive in an environment so different from her home life was inspiring.

The supporting cast was engaging. The pop culture references and IM conversations peppered throughout the book were believable. There's even a bit of a ghost story and mystery to be solved.

All in all, I enjoyed the book. It was a light, fun read. I've already started reading the sequel Viola In The Spotlight.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Viola in Reel Life.