Jim's Reviews > The End of Poverty

Feb 24, 08

liked it
bookshelves: economics
Read in January, 2007

A well written book. In my opinion it can not be read without also reading William Easterly's book "The Quest For Growth." The two scholors are at war with each other. Their debate is all the more interesting when you read the back and forth op-ed pieces they have written in the Washington Post.

I tend to agree with Easterly: Sachs means well, but he is very full of himself. His book is more a tribute to what he can do, and other economists can't than a good debate on the issues. Flying Bono around makes for nice PR but it doesn't address the serious economic issues/problems of international growth. Easterly takes a (in my opinion) less rigorous and more anecdotal approach, call it the softer side, to growth. He offers answers which everyone wants to hear, but which don't always bear fruit when fully analyzed.

Unfortunately, it is this fluffy side of growth that politicians like to promote. They promote it because its easy, because people like to think they are doing something, even if all they are doing is throwing money into a black whole.

Anyhow, this book makes for good reading, and I recommend it to everyone interested in economic growth, the hot topic of macroeconomic research these days. Just don't read it in isolation.

3 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The End of Poverty.