Richard's Reviews > The Troubled Man

The Troubled Man by Henning Mankell

M 50x66
Apr 20, 2011

did not like it
Recommended to Richard by: I read a review that included words like "brilliant".
Read from April 13 to 19, 2011 , read count: 1

If you have read any of the other reviews of this book or author, you know what the story is about and plenty about the depressed/depressing lead character. Haunted by memories of his crazy father who painted the same image repeatedly, pending death (he is 60 going on 98), failed opportunities and much of his life.

I liked the character development of the major characters, but finding it out was painful. In fact, I found much of the book painful. I know Mr. Mankell is favorably compared to Steig Larsson, but I do not feel that is a compliment. Both their writings are dark and sad.

Typically, this is a very slow paced novel with lots of extraneous material thrown in...almost like it was used to pad the word count. I'm not sure we need to know that much about the detectives childhood or thoughts. I'm glad Mr. Mankell has closed out the series, maybe he can go on to happier people.

Perhaps the cover art indicates the level of troubled both the former naval commander who disappears as well as Wallander are. It depicts all the letters in old fashioned hand-set lead type. The only problem is you would get a backward impression if you tried to print with this. It could only be put on a clear medium, not anything opaque.

Oddly enough, there is a similar graphic in the April, 2011 issue of Searcher magazine only all but a small amount of type is correct. The backward letters spell out e-book while the rest of it is normally backwards.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Troubled Man.