Diana (Offbeat Vagabond)'s Reviews > Queen of Shadows

Queen of Shadows by Dianne Sylvan

Apr 20, 2011

bookshelves: great-heroines, horror, kickass, paranormal, paranormal-romance, urban-fantasy, vampires, favorites
Read from May 13 to 20, 2012

Original post here: http://offbeatvagabond.blogspot.com/2012/07/book-review-queen-of-shadows-shadow.html

Another book that once I started it, I wanted to punch myself for waiting so long to read it in the first place. I wanted to read this because I love my Urban Fantasies and I love my badass heroines. But I had no idea how dark this book would be. It definitely grabbed my attention quickly and didn't let go until the end.

The main character Miranda isn't your typical heroine. Due to her power, she can read and control people's emotions, she is very isolated. She keeps to herself because everyone effects her. She is a very depressed woman with one thing to love; her music. After a performance on stage, she experiences something dreadful and tragic night, she finds out she has more power than she thought. She finds her will to live and she finds that she shares the world with vampires. Our other main character David is definitely high on my list of book boyfriends. He is what I always wanted to see in a alpha male, but I never have. A vampire who is super hot, super powerful, super nerdy, loves video games and is obsessed with Ben and Jerry's ice cream. How can you not love that?!

I love the connection between David and Miranda. Lots of chemistry even though they both fought it. I love that Sylvan takes the time out to really let us know her characters. We get so much insight into our main characters, we love them seperately just as much as we love them together. And I also love that it didn't happen immediately. They had some bumps to go over first and that was a great experience to see.

I really love the story. It was paced very well. Someone is killing of vampires and humans and it just seems like random killings. But there is a connection that was interesting considering it is something you would expect from humans, not vampires. It was definitely a unique concept that was great to read.

I also like Sylvan's take on the vampire world. It was so structed and run well. David truly is a genius. I love how they choose the warriors to be a part of the team. It is nice reading that because with a lot of other books, it is all about who bit you first. This was different.

Overall, this is going the favorites list. I loved the characters. Miranda is such a wonderful heroine. She is strong and powerful, but very vulnerable and Sylvan did a great job showing us all those angles. This book is dark and action-packed. I couldn't ask for anything more really. Definitely recommended. I have book 2 with me right now and plan on starting it tonight.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Queen of Shadows.

05/13/2012 page 54
14.0% "A vampire that plays Tetris and loves Ben & Jerry's ice cream? I think I found my future husband LOL!"
05/13/2012 page 54