Nicole (Reading Books With Coffee)'s Reviews > The Annotated Alice: The Definitive Edition

The Annotated Alice by Lewis Carroll

Jan 24, 12

bookshelves: children-young-adult, classics, 2011
Recommended for: anyone
Read from April 20 to May 01, 2011

Alice In Wonderland was a great book, and I loved it. The notes on the side were helpful, and described different traditions and references that Carroll makes. At the same time, the notes were really distracting, and I sometimes found myself focusing more on the notes than on the actual book. Overall, the side notes were really helpful.

There were also illustrations scattered throughout Alice In Wonderland and really detailed. More illustrations would have been nice, but the ones that were in the book were really nice to look at.

It’s been a long time since I’ve seen the movie, but I definitely like the book a lot better. I loved reading the different poems and songs, and the characters were memorable. The Mad Hatter, The Queen of Harts, The Caterpillar, The Cheshire Cat, and Alice were interesting characters. While I liked Alice, I found the other characters a lot more interesting, and I became attached to all of them.

Through The Looking Glass, I didn’t like as much. It was enjoyable, but I would have been perfectly fine if Carroll never wrote it. I liked Alice, and I liked Tweedledum and Tweedledee, but didn’t really care for any of the other characters. I liked the poems scattered throughout the book too. As for the illustrations and annotations, I felt the same way about them in Through The Looking Glass as I did in Alice’s Adventure’s In Wonderland.

The Wasp In A Wig, which is a suppressed scene of Through The Looking Glass, was also included. It was okay, but it felt like an afterthought, like it was tacked on to the book because it should be there.

Overall, I really liked it, and loved the illustrations.

I give it a 4 out 5, for a very enjoyable book.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Annotated Alice.

04/27/2011 page 110